Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can it be done?

I am looking to push the boundaries of BBQ as we know it and build a monumental piece of pig.
    What I am talking about is: Honey/jalapeño bacon burnt ends with crispy skin!
    Can it be done? I am going to set a goal of trying to make it happen.

Looking for ideas on how to achieve the perfect crispy skin on pork. (Maybe AR can make a new webpage for how to crispy pork skin).
    Before I start burning up pork bellies I though I could get some input from Y'all.

I have actually thought about dropping some pork belly burnt ends into my fryer, just to see what happened.

Are you planning on leaving the skin on the belly when you are making these?

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep Skin on . Thought about smoking as normal then skin up when braising them in foil and after that throw them under a hot grill to puff the skin. Other option is dunk em in tempura beer batter and deep fry em.

Do an internet search for sieuw yuk. Crispy Chinese roasted pork belly. You'll probably find several. But if not, I have a few saved. It's just a matter of choosing which one works for you. You'll need to adapt for smoking and your saucing, but the basic recipes should get you close. I'd suggest: cure, do the recommended crispy skin prep, smoke, then the burnt end treatment.

Comment

Or ladle hot oil over the skin after smoking. Now that I think about it, just straight up deep frying might be a little harsh on the meat and you might loose flavor. I find this happens when I smoke wings and then deep fry them.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we are getting somewhere! Ahumadora But Would still ladle the fat over the skin, this will still crisp the skin but it will be easier to get a nice even crisp. Ahumadora

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s actually a classic way to do Porchetta, label hot oil or grease over the skin to crisp it. I think what is being described has been done.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, it works there, so I figured it would work here. I always get great results when I ladle. Troutman

I get crispy skin on belly thus:
      I was watching Smokelandia (http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/daniel-vaughns-smokelandia-premieres-tonight/) the other night, and they stopped at Hoodoo Brown BBQ (http://hoodoobrownbbq.c

Maybe you can cut it up at this point and add more rub, sugar, honey, or whatever and make burnt ends. Might soften the skin though.

Comment

My challenge has always been to get pork belly with the skin on. Costco gives me whole belly but no skin. I have seen people that roll it up and then use hot oil on top to crisp the skin. I would think after crisp skin that method could slice up and smoke longer.

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Find a local oriental (esp. Vietnamese) market. They generally sell skin on belly.

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          @ johnec00 thanks man. Going to check that out. Been wanting to make chicharones from scratch and this has always been a factor.

I seen on a tv show that in a country (I can’t remember which one) they rub the skin with coconut water and put a whole hog on a rotisserie. By the time it was done the skin broke off like glass. Have never tried it but was always curious how it would work on smaller cuts

Comment

Here in Mesa Arizona is a Mekong Market (Vietnamese) and you can get a nice chunk on pork belly with the skin. Try some Asian market in your area

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here