Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charity Pork Chop Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Pork Chop Dinner

I am looking for your advice. Our Lion's club is doing its first pork chop dinner and I volunteered to supervise the grill so we aren't serving shoe leather. However, I need your help. I'm sure the chops are thin and we are cooking on open charcoal grills (no covers). The process explained to me was to cook them on one side, flip and season. Cook on the other side then flip and season again. Then hold them in portable roasters (wire racks over water to keep the moisture higher). We will be cooking about 700 pork chops; how would you cook them and how would you hold them. Any help is appreciated!

PS. How would you suggest we brine this amount of meat.
    Last edited by SMO; October 16, 2018, 09:09 PM.

We did about 300 pork steaks one time with a similar method. We brined them overnight in big ass coolers with large XL ziploc bags. We then seasoned them and returned them to the ice chests. We had two guys one either end of the cooker constantly flipping and moving them forward until they were done in a sort of assembly line fashion. The cooking rig and the thickness of the chops will determine the amount of time you cook them. If you can temp them with a Thermopen to no more than 140* IT, should stay moist at that temp. Good luck, that's a big cook !!!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds about right, though I've never done it at that kind of scale. Brining and that low IT are going to be your friends.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a fantastic post!

Troutman Did you use the wet brine recipe on this site or do you have another you like?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      No this was done almost 10 years ago. I don’t remember the exact brine but it was basic salt/sugar type nothing special. I think we used apple juice as the liquid as well.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Use a wet brine, a blonder brine for sure.

If you were to do it today Troutman would you still wet brine or dry brine?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I still would prefer wet. You get the salt but also a sweet background note that goes so well with pork. But that’s me.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus the sugar helps with the sear on the chops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chops2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	592739 So the dinner was last Friday and it went pretty well. I was going to follow Troutman advice and wet brine but I called the market that supplied the rub and they said it was loaded with salt. So, I did the dry brine with the rub itself. Put it on about 2 hours before the cook. Threw them on a hot grill and flipped fast. Pulled at 140 and put in a roaster at the serving window. They came out great if not a little salty. I did get a cheer from the crowd when I walked through the tables at the end of the event. Next year will mix up some MMD or similar and do my own brine. Thanks for the advice...love this site! (the final tally was about 400 chops!)

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      They look great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	chops1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	592741

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	chops3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	592743

Comment

Great job dude ..... the icing on the cake being the crowd roared its approval...that's frickin awesome !!!

Comment

Great work, I love huge cooks myself. Try on smaller scale throyghout the year. I like a blonder brine, the fresh cracked pepper and a little garluc just before the cook. White pepper if you have it.

Comment

• SMO
            SMO commented
            Editing a comment
            The blonder brine was in the original game plan until I learned how much salt was in the seasoning. I think that would have improved the sear as you mentioned above.

Good job! Great advice on this thread! I cook/grill/smoke for 30-40 every Friday and am always looking for something new to do. This is on the list now!

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here