Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt questions

I'm back on the hog....

I have a 10lb Berkshire but in the freezer, how long will it take to thaw in the fridge?

I was thinking about cutting the 10lb butt in half, more bark, less cook time. Any special way to cut up a 10lb bone in butt?

thanks!

A long time. Any other questions. Was about to put an APB on ya.
    Last edited by FireMan; June 16, 2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I just get back and I'm immediately ric rolled by @FireMan......answer the questions or we will take away your weber and give ya an instypot or what ever they call them things......

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob is that your thumb in yer avatar or some other digit?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol cap

At least overnight, and probably then some. As far as cutting, I'd remove the bone then split as you like.

Comment

I'm guessing you're looking at 2 to 3 days. but really as long as you can stick a thermometer probe into the center it doesn't need to be thawedfully. When I cut big ones like that down sometimes I'll cut them in half sometimes in thirds, I just run the knife right on down through it and if I get near the bone or hit it I'll veer around the bone. The pork has no clue if your cut isn't pretty, and when it's a pile of pulled pork later you still can't tell.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        ok, got it!

Going with the Price is Right model of closest without going over I'm saying 5 days. Making some butts today myself for a large group.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        only have 4 days so butt goes on Wednesday nite ready or not!

At least 3 days.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        hoping that is "word"

You should get a better smoke flavor if it isn't fully thawed, but It'll take longer to cook.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok with longer and smokier!

A 10 pounder won't take much, if any longer to cook than 2 5 pounders. Unless you halve them lengthwise, but I doubt it even then.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        now I’m going in circles.......

Noob forget the hog let’s wet a hook. Storm comin’ Fish goin’ deep, need to fire up the Yamaha.....

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Red snapper season is open and we’ve got inches of rain every day! If it’s not rainin’ Monday I’m catchin’ snappers!

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, that thing is goin' to Texas, surfs up here!

Super fun! I'll cut in half and leave the bone in. Just cut as close to the bone as you can. With this cut, you can point the Money Muscle up, so it's pretty and you can make slices of it if you want.

Comment

Hey, and another thing, what the heck is ric rolled?

Comment

No time for that now, butt is on and smokin, see link

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	93892F64-2314-471F-A130-63BB4C9E5F39.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	519815 The "rock" has been successfully thawed, trimmed n brined! Who hooo! Click image for larger version

Name:	805A79FE-3BBA-4D57-93DC-6286DA2D2D59.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	519814

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks! goes on tonight at 11, faux cambro tomorrow afternoon, friends coming over tomorrow night to watch surf films, feels good to be cookin’ again!!!

• smn1285
            smn1285 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow is pork butt always that expensive down there in FL...?

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought $3.99/lb for heritge pork butt was ok, Berkshire has a succulant flavor! You get it for less?

BTW......Meatheads recommendation in the book for Kaiser rolls with pulled pork is so spot on! Kaiser melts in your mouth and delivers the goods without filling you up or feeling like a bread sammich!
          Two thumbs up Meathead !

Comment

BTW.BTW......I chickened out on cutting it ih half.......(hope it doesn’t taste like chicken)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here