Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transporting & Reheating BBs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transporting & Reheating BBs Help

I've been rehabbing my knee since late January, and you kinda become friends with your physical therapists despite the agony they put you thru. So there's 2 of them that have helped me on this journey, one of whom is a big time carnivore, and I wanted to do something special for them... why not smoke some baby backs? Bit more personal than an amazon gift card I thought, and they do eat pork. Well, its a little tricky. They work different shifts, one 7-3 and the other 10-7. So I can't just time it where the ribs are coming off and I can bring them both a warm dinner to take right home. The good news is, we all live fairly close to the facility and they have a huge fridge there. But they're still going to have to stash them in that fridge and reheat at home (faux cambro not an option). Well, I don't usually have leftover ribs and haven't reheated them before! I'd like for them to be as yummy as possible of course, and also not make them sick, so I'm looking for your expert advice... this is roughly my plan:
    1. Smoke ribs from 7am-1pm
    2. Hold in my oven from 1pm-2pm double wrapped in foil
    3. Run them over there, get them in the fridge by 2:15pm
    4. Have them reheat slowly at home that evening still in the foil at 170F
    5. Hope they enjoy the best ribs they've ever had, and take it easy on me at my next appt

What can I do to make it better?

Thanks!

If they can sauce and caramelize.

Comment

I think your plan is solid!

Comment

Why not just invite them over on their day off?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a vibe I got when I was talking to one of them, they don’t seem to interact in or outside of work. I guess I could invite them over on different days. 🤔

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          There you go, benefit is you get to eat ribs twice!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Or, they get to meet each other, unless they’re mortal emenies, it might be a good time.

Think solid plan. Like the reheat with sauce and carmelization of sauce.

Comment

I know how you feel, you want that fresh off the pit ribs to serve them, but I’m sure they will be well appreciated regardless. I had a third of a rack of porkies left in the refrig from Monday’s cook. I came home to an empty house, popped those babies into the micro, little salad and I was eating. Pretty darn tasty. Ribs are so unforgiving and hold their flavor. You’ll be fine no matter how you present.

Didnt realize you were gimping, hope your recovery goes well !!

Comment

The BBs are ready! MMD on all 3, cherry wood chunks, 6.5 hours at ~245F, one coat of Sweet Baby Rays with an hour left. This time no rack, all flat on the 26” (thanks jfmorris ). Didn’t see as much pull back as I usually do, but they felt bendy and just starting to crack when flexed. Holding in my oven now, running them over to PT in 45 min. Hope they enjoy them! 👍🏻
            Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              More pull back when you used the rack was likely the edge to the top, which was cooking faster than the edge against the grate. Now you have even cooking for the entire slab with it flat on the grate.

The slouch that I am, I ‘d just do em & tell them to reheat em, gently, don’t kill em or cook em. It would probably be some of the best they ever had even slightly nuked.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s pretty much what I did FireMan , told them to reheat in the oven at 170F. Their work schedules didn’t mesh, too difficult, but I think you’re right even reheated it’ll be better than anything they’ve had prior. If not, we’ll... it’s the thought that counts. 😬

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              I beg to differ, you are an AR dude. More than capable my friend. Us AR dudes & dudettes got to stick together, cuz we bad, we bad.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. What FireMan said. 👊🏻

If they don’t want them send them to Kansas!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, Toto will eat them.

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Toto would be lucky to get a scrap.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? Cook them, place in vacuum bag and chill in ice bath for 30 minute. Refrigerate till needed. Tell them to reheat in pot of simmering water for 10 minutes. Open and enjoy.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t. 😞 I intended to grab one when Cabelas was closing things up last year and missed that opportunity.

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Like that suggestion!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here