Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

A minor (I hope) Smoking Dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharklovers
    Club Member
    • Jul 2017

A minor (I hope) Smoking Dilemma...

So, I'm doing Pulled Pork for Memorial Day, and I had a 4.5 lb Blade Roast and a 2.5 butt in the freezer, and decided to do both - together. There's gotta be a difference in the cook time for a bone-in roast than for the boneless, both done at 225-250. Any thoughts when cooking them together? I'm thinking the bone-in goes on first...butt not sure.
  • boftx
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • CharGriller Pro COS
      Oklahoma Joe COS
      Maverick 732 thermometer
      Red Thermapen
      Favorite beer: Scotch

I know I make damn good BBQ cause my 3 dogs have NEVER said no to it. (OTOH, my 13yr old says no to just about everything, except my ribs.)

I would also think the bone-in would go in first, but not by much. The more important factor is probably the thickness of the meat itself. I'm guessing they are pretty similar in that regard. Even if one finishes earlier than the other you can always hold them in a faux cambro. Pork forgiving enough that it won't matter if it is an extra hour or two for that, just that more tender.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      Charter Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

The thickness of the meat determines cook time. If they are similar thickness they should finish about the same time. Use thickness for your guesstimate as to when to put them on.

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Right! Thickness is far more important than bone.
    • jecucolo
      Club Member
      • Nov 2015
      • Schertz Texas
      • Pit Barrel Cooker

I'd say put them in together. The faux cambro is a great equalizer. Even if it is a hour earlier on one you can have them the FC for 4 hours.

Comment

• Sharklovers
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017

Everybody makes sense! thanks mucho!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}