Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I hold pork shoulder in a faux cambro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I hold pork shoulder in a faux cambro?

I'm thinking about bringing pulled pork to a family event (Niece's first communion) this weekend. My idea is to cook the shoulder overnight, I'd need to pull/wrap/faux cambro it around 9 am and hold it until noon or 1 pm.

Is that too long? I saw in another post that 4 hours is about the max for a faux cambro; so I should be ok? I also saw the trick to pre-heat the cooler.

Other questions... My cooker is a MAK 2 Star with the larger Super Smoker Box aka warming box. If the shoulder comes up to my usual pull temp and tenderness test ahead of time, should I let it hang out in the warming box before going in the cambro, or just set the MAK to Smoke setting and let it hang out there?

I've done a few shoulders successfully and have a rough idea on the cook time; but this will be the first time that I need to hit a specific time to serve.

My last shoulder I had in the faux cambro six hours.That is longer than usual, but it was very tasty, and safe to eat. Wrapping at 9 and eating by 1pm should not be a problem. As long as the internal temperature doesn't drop too far, it is safe. Pre-heat that cooler, and don't forget the old towels for insulation.

Congrats to your niece on her first communion!

Comment

I have held it in the cambro for 8+ hrs and it was still pipling hot but it was in this. Click image for larger version

Name:	1090044.jpg
Views:	2029
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	489363

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles , Where did you get this one & how big is it?
        Thanks, Dave

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Darchie03 here's the link.
        The next generation of insulated food pan transport has arrived with this Cambro UPC300158 Ultra Pan Carrier® hot red front loading insulated food pan carrier with handles leading the way. Designed with a compact footprint that fits in a variety of smaller transport vehicles, and weighing in at 10% lighter than comparable models, this food pan carrier is revolutionizing the way food makes it from kitchen to catered event! The single-molded, seamless, double-walled, high-density polyethylene construction ensures a professional presentation that's durable, too. At the same time, polyurethane insulation within the core works to keep your hot foods hot and your cold foods cold for 4+ hours without the use of electricity. This insulated food pan carrier is designed to hold up to (3) 4" deep full size food pans. The front-loading design makes it easy to load and unload pans into and from the unit, but the innovative door design is what really sets this unit apart from the competition. The gasketless, self-venting door is fully removable for thorough cleaning. Since there's no gasket, there's also no need to worry about replacing worn out gaskets or compromising temperatures during holding. To keep the door secure when holding and transporting your food pans, two recessed plastic latches secure the door tightly and they won't rust or corrode over time like comparable metal latches. Additionally, since they're recessed, there's no threat of the latches breaking off during the everyday hustle and bustle of your business. This insulated food pan carrier's door is designed to open 270 degrees to lay flat against the cabinet when open. By opening to this extent, the risk of overextending the hinges is eliminated, while the opportunity to place units side-by-side during service is created. To seamlessly integrate into your existing catering collection, this unit features a stackable design that will stack on top of a compatible dolly or existing 300MPC and 1318MTC carriers. Molded-in top handles facilitate this stacking ability, while also making it easy to lift and move the carrier from kitchen to vehicle to catered event and back again. Overall Dimensions: Width: 17" Depth: 25 3/4" Height: 22 3/8" Capacity: 36 quarts

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles , Thanks but they no longer carry that brand I was hoping you had gotten it some where else.
        Dave

Thunder77 points out the temperature of the meat is the issue. I don’t think length of time is an issue unless you are talking about 12+ hours. Even then it negatives would be minimal. A couple of tips for keeping the faux cambro hot - fill it with hot water for 30 minutes to an hour. That heats up the cambro by something other than the wrapped meat. Of course drain the cambro before putting in the wrapped meat unless you have a way to seal the wrapped meat.

Comment

What would be minimum temp I want to watch out for?

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          140 minimum.

I agree with what everyone else has said. To add, I always put the towels that I am going to use to insulate in the dryer and get them heated up before going straight to the cambro.

Comment

My experience in serving large numbers (80+) and cooking the pork in advance was that I pulled the meat shortly after it came off the smoker, while it was still piping hot and the fat did not have time to start congealing again. I packed it into 1/2 steam table foil pans with foil lids, and held it in the oven at 170 until shortly before time to eat. I then dumped those pans into crock pots on the serving line, to keep it warm. The meat was always moist.

Unless you plan on getting all messy and pulling pork at the party, I would pull it in advance, then hold the meat warm in an oven until the last moment, then pack it in your pre-heated faux cambro.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great tip!

Kevin_nj 135 is the minimum internal temp for food safety. This link will give you everything you need to minor about food safety. http://www.idph.state.il.us/about/fd...oodservice.htm Kevin_nj I forgot the link.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 25, 2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

At the risk of running afoul of the food safety police (again): You'll be just fine with your plan! If you pull it (in any sanitary fashion) hot off the smoker and hold it in a faux cambro, you will likely be safe down to at least 135F. After cooking, it's basically pretty sterile when you pull it off the smoker. Unless you grossly contaminate it while pulling, there will be minimal bacteria present when it goes in the faux cambro. Even then the 4-6 (or more) hours above 135-140 in the faux cambro will continue to "pasteurize" the meat even further. Unless seriously re-contaminated at a lower temp, it won't magically become toxic if it drops below 135. Just to be extra safe, it probably shouldn't set out on a serving table for many hours after coming out of the faux cambro without further heating (or refrigeration). Relax and have a great time!

Comment

Thanks all.

Luckily there will be lots of other food so it will not be a total disaster if something goes awry. Smaller group of people too, was told about 15 or so.

Pork's been trimmed and seasoned, waiting for Fri night.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Pictures would be good. :-)

This weekend I will be feeding about 60 people. Will be doing pulled pork and Baltimore pit beef, ribs and chuck as mains. I have never had a problem with holding my pork in a cooler. I tested it one time with a fireboard. It took 4 hours inside a cooler to drop to 160 degrees. So it shouldn’t be a problem at all. Just to be on the safe side I always keep a prob inside the meat after I put it in the cooler just to keep an eye on it. You can never be to safe.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                If you are putting the wrapped intact butt directly into the faux cambro, I agree - I did that with a brisket a while back, and after 5 hours in the cooler, the probe was still at 160 degrees. The difference I would think with pulled pork might be that you likely want to pull it ahead of time. I don't typically have time to pull it when people are arriving to eat, so pull in advance.

Shoulder went on around 18:30, everything was going smoothly. Until about 02:15 when I was woken up by the sound of my standby generator roaring to life. Luckily I have it, and it woke me. The MAK does not turn itself back on after a power failure so I had to reset it.

Power was only out a few minutes; sitting up a bit in case it goes out again. FireBoard shows the shoulder at 175F currently. No real stall (yet), just a very gradual slow climb. I was worried I put it on late, now I wonder if I was early.

Time will tell.
              Last edited by Kevin_nj; April 28, 2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I hope I'm not in trouble.

Shoulder hit 200F+ at 05:30. Confirmed by Thermapen which went in with no resistance; bone is loose; so it's done. 6+ hours early! Right now it's wrapped in foil and a heavy moving blanket and placed in the (turned off) oven while the cooler pre-heats. I didn't have pre-time to heat the blanket.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I Think You Are In Great Shape‼️ Put The Wrapped Butt ito Your
                  Faux Cambro and Wait Until You Get To Where You Are going To Eat,
                  To Pull the Pork❗️ If It's A Little Cooler Than You Like a Short Rehear
                  MAKE IT ALL BETTA❗️ IMTLTHOP‼️ 🤗 😇 🤗 Dan
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 28, 2018, 06:00 AM.

About to leave the house. I re-wrapped it in 3 pre-heated beach towels, then the moving blanket, then the pre-heated cooler. Been in there that way for about 2 hours now. Has another 3 +/- before lunch time. Bringing my Thermapen with me to check temp before pulling. So far I've resisted the urge to open it up and check the temp.

I snagged the piece that was stuck to the grate...... it was dayum good if I do so say myself. Wife was upset I didn't take a chunk off of if for her.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're golden! Enjoy!!!

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As HH Just Said You're in The Cat Bird Seat Now Young Feller‼️ Have a Ball❗️ OBTW: You Just Broke One of My CARDINALS NEVER FEED'EM Until 1-2 Hrs Late‼️‼️ They'll Swear It's the BEST BBQ EVER‼️❓‼️ They May Just Swear❓❓ 🤗 😇 🤗 😱
                  From a Backyard Cin Fargo ND, Dan

I think ss long as it stays on, or above safe holding temp, you can keep it as long as your cambro can keep it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here