Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time doing pork shoulder on a Weber, worked great! Here are my notes and pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good, great lookin smoke ring too!

Comment

I like how you used the Jumbo Joe for your cook. I have one that we take to Carolina Beach and the Outer Banks but you sir have elevated it's use to an entirely different level.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words! It was quite delicious and provided a fair bit of leftovers too (there were only 3 of us). To the person who asked about the sauce, it's sort of a mish-mash of store bought stuff but I add my own thing to it. The main bit is a store bought sauce called Rufus Teague...absolutely hands down the best bottled sauce I've had. I believe it's widely available (I get it at Sav-On Foods here in Alberta but I've seen it all over the country, at least in Canada). They have a "Touch O' Heat" flavour and a "Screamin' Hot" which for this kind of thing I blend about 75/25 respectively, as the hot on its own would be a little much for some of the folks eating it (I like it just fine but it's definitely not for people who don't like hot food). Then I add a bit of garlic powder (can never have too much garlic!), a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce and just a teeny bit of lime juice for some tanginess.

Spring has finally sprung so I'm doin ribs today! My first cook using the famous Memphis Dust. Happy cooking all!

Comment

Great cook. It’s really neat seeing that little bugger chugging away with the winter still hangin on. How are you doing the ribs, on the Joe or gassin?
          This has been one of the hanginest on winters in recent memories. We were in the mid 30’s this morning & next week is May. Like to see how your wibs turn out.
          I think you are in for really big surprise with the "dust".

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, we have typical NJ coming up here. Mid-50's yesterday and today, down in the 40's last week, and mid-80's predicted for Thu and Fri. Go figure!

How are you doing the ribs, on the Joe or gassin?

Did em on the Joe, just like the pork. Snake method, just a little shorter as it's only a 3 1/2 hr (roughly) cook vs. the much longer time on the shoulder. Turned out awesome (much warmer day too, in the high 70s in the sun!), nice and tender and juicy. While I did enjoy the Memphis Dust and it made a really nice bark, I found it a little sweet for my preference, so I think I'm gonna tweak it a touch. Dial back the sugar (only slightly, you do definitely need some to get that good carmelization) a touch, add a little more garlic and ginger (great combo) and perhaps some cayenne pepper and *maybe* even chili flakes. Not sure if they'd become bitter being cooked that long, or burn off or something but it might be worth a try.

Oh and I wanna chime in and say this cook just solidified for me that I agree with Aaron Franklin about a lot of things, and one of them is that you don't need to remove the bottom membrane if you don't want to. (I just read his book, it's really great even if you've never had Franklin BBQ, just a cool sort of memoir/manual for smoking and grilling great stuff). I found it has no noticeable difference in terms of flavour or texture, so those of you maybe on the fence on this, you're not gonna ruin a rack of ribs if you try it that way, give it a whirl and judge for yourself. It definitely doesn't hurt either, but I find it a bit of a pain and if there's no positive effect on the food then I figure why bother.

As well, I used the gas grill (the ribs and water pan essentially fill the Joe) I did some really simple roasted potatoes, cause I wanted to try out one of those reusable grill bags as they're way more handy than foil...just chopped em up roughly bite size in with some olive oil, garlic, pepper medley, and a little of the Salt Lick spice. Super good. And the bag was super cool, just wash them with your regular dishes and re-use em...beats using a ton of foil and you don't have to worry about leaks as they're damn near watertight (a tiny amount of liquid drips out once in a while when you're turning them when I say tiny I mean absolutely negligible).

Cheers all!

Comment

Great job, especially in the cold. Have you thought about creating a surround to help mitigate the effect of cold weather and particularly wind? Im in the north east of Scotland. This rig really helps maintain temp.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_053810.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	492253

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Brilliant solution. Like the silver material for light reflection too.

• adamcoe
              adamcoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, that is some next level stuff, well done my friend. Might just have to construct something similar when the weather gets cold again.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here