Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Ribs

Picked these up at Costco. I don’t think there are "real" country ribs, rather cut from the shoulder. In the past, I have cooked country ribs just like a pork chop, worked out great. I’m not so sure about this one though. Anyone cooked these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	7AB40AA6-A1BC-4D0D-81C8-C35D9ACF7D7F.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	477050

no, but I would!

Comment

Yep the wife just used 'em to make sauerkraut and pork the other night. It was excellent!

Comment

Country ribs are sliced shoulder around here. Great stuff. Low n slow works great. Pan sear and braise too. Thrown in some garlic, onion, green chilis and stock and eat with rice n beans or in tacos or a rice bowl. Love that cut.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup what he said, we do them all the time.

I thought that "real country ribs" were always cut from the shoulder. At least every one I’ve seen was. Very similar to "pork steak". Fatty enough to be tasty and tough enough to benefit greatly from low & slow. Enjoy!

Comment

Love country style aka sliced pork butt. I like to sauce them at the end.

Comment

This thread contributed to my edification on matters concerning "country ribs".

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey you must be edumacated ......

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't you curse at me!

I like to do them the BBQ Pit Boys style.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the BBQ Pit Boys, especially when they cooked in a blinding snow storm.....gotta love 'em !!!

I like to make pork tacos with these. Braise in the oven for a couple hours in a dark beer and cola liquid with some onions and peppers until tender....yum!!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh darn! Make that for me please!
              Last edited by HouseHomey; April 5, 2018, 10:44 PM. Reason: Cleaning up my act.

They're pretty popular in my household. I've grilled them before but I usually slow-bake them in a Dutch oven.

Comment

I ended up doing a reverse sear, low heat to 135, brush on some BBQ sauce and browned. Pulled them off at 145 +/- They were great.

Comment

Malcolm Reed has write up and video on the two types of Country Style Ribs and he does a side by side cook comparing the two...

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring Country Style Ribs Recipe.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is pretty close to how I do them, and how my mom did as well. I sear them, then braise in bbq sauce.

• clb239
                  clb239 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't tried them this way yet...Might have to thaw the pack in the freezer and give them a try soon...

Several times they were great

Comment

We often make jerk pork out of these.

Comment

Good video, so the stuff we get at Costco are cut shoulder. Really then, these are what some call St Louis Pork Steaks? I only grilled to 150°, not as tender as cooking to 190-200, but great flavor and moist.

Visit a typical St. Louis backyard in the summertime and you'll likely find something very different sizzling away on the grill: St. Louis pork steaks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here