Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs too many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy View Post
    l... Got a last question or two... I will be making some MRub tomorrow and a lot of it... I tried the crack method for doneness picking up the rids wit h tongs and they were not quite there. Any thoughts, criticism or comments??

Guy
    Guy my only thoughts are:

Be sure to dry brine for 24 hours.
    If you were doing the crack test on half a rack of ribs there may not have been enough weight for it to happen.

and

You cant go wrong with Memphis dust IMHO

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...phis_dust.html

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon, did not think of the weight between half a rack and a full. Makes sense.

MMDR is one of my go to rubs and you can't go wrong with it.

Comment

Jon and Barry, this is not my first rodeo at feeding people but it was with meat other than turkey. I have fed a lot of folks with fish fry's and hush puppies. I know this has helped me to think through everything before hand as to what steps to take and it what order. But even after reading everything on this site about ribs I still had questions which both of you answered perfectly. I don't know about you all but I rarely eat right after cooking so this time I did not eat until after the ribs were cool. To me they were either too salty or too smoked. I used apple wood. I don't have a scale yet so I could not weigh the wood but I used 4 chunks about 2.5" square. I know the rub I used had a lot of salt in it. I may have over done it. No one else complained so another thing may have been eating the ribs cold. Will heat them up tonight.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Guy

Comment

Guy it is always good to critique your efforts. Cold does feel different on the taste buds. And even if they were to smokey you can always cut back on your smoke wood. Same thing with your salt. I didn't go back a look but, did you dry brine them and then did your rub have salt in it. If you did that was the culprit as far as being to salty. I am sure Jon will be along shortly and give his assessment also. And even though it wasn't your first rodeo it was a different event than you are use to and the timing requirements were different. Make sure you write down exactly what you did temps, how long, pros/cons, so next time you can make corrections and have the ultimate product.

Comment

Barry, yes I did dry brine the ribs for about 20 hours and yes my rub had a ton of salt in it. I put it on what I thought was lightly. Maybe not. One thing though is that the ribs were very tender but not falling off the bone. My step son just left here after eating another plate of ribs that he heated up. My brother in law said best ribs ever. But he is one of those that will eat anything and anywhere and be satisfied. Especially if it is free. He does not cook. LOL

Comment

Well, you have identified where the saltiness came from.

Dry rubs are a mix of spices and dried herbs and they are rubbed into the meat before cooking. They come in a wide range of flavors. The art is creating a blend of harmonious flavors that will complement the meat or veggie. The science is knowing how they will change when subjected to heat.

You have to please yourself first.

Did you smoke the whole time? or did you stop after the first two hours of the cook?

Comment

I stopped after the first three hours when it was all burned up.

Comment

I would put one chunk on at a time for your next cook and stop before 2 hrs.

Comment

Barry, OK will do that.

Thanks,

Comment

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not sure when folks will be ready for ribs again. I had 6 slabs and still have some left. We had a bunch of sides though. By the way I spent $86.00 on those six slabs. Averaged $4.98 a pound. How does that sound where you are. Got them at Publix which is the only place they were available here.

Wow Guy, that is very pricey! You might be able to save some cash by buying full spares and cutting them down to St Louis yourself. That's what I did for my rib cook yesterday. Plus with a little extra time it gives you some good pork trimmings to make somethign else with. If the idea of doing that doesn't suit you there are videos on YouTube aplenty that show the process, it's quite easy. I scored spares at $1 cheaper than the SALE price of baby backs. When you're buying 12+lbs that's enough for the beer or wine!

Comment

Wow, $5/pd is very pricey unless they were premium Baby Backs. I do like Huskee and get full spares and trim if I must but I like full spares better that SLR or BBR ribs and the $2/pd fits my budget a lot better.

Comment

I am not kidding when I tell you guys that meat cuts are scarce around here. Which drives the price up. We have no butchers only big box stores. The ribs I brought had a lot of meat on them. Anyway I am going to have to start bying meat when I can get it and freeze it rather than wait until I am ready to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                        I am not kidding when I tell you guys that meat cuts are scarce around here. Which drives the price up. We have no butchers only big box stores. The ribs I brought had a lot of meat on them. Anyway I am going to have to start bying meat when I can get it and freeze it rather than wait until I am ready to cook.
                        I was down to see my son in North Milton/Allentown and went to the Commissary at Whiting Field and got ribs for $1.98/lb. I think I picked up 6 racks for them. You might have to go over to Pace to a Sam's, Costco, or BJ's and by them by the case. they are usually a good price that way.

Comment

• Guy
                          Guy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Barry, my step son just told me about Sam's meat prices. I am going next week to renew my card. Also will try to get the whole slab and cut my own. I can't get on the bases around here though.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here