Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs too many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon, I did not see any rambling. I hung on to every word.

Thanks,

Comment

Rich, I will let you know for sure.

Thanks,

Comment

OK Guy, you are up, I see the little green dot is on, and some of use are waiting for your report and pics from the rib smoke yesterday. I know it went well and am trying to be patient for the report.

I knew that Jon would be up his green dot is illuminated also.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this is going on right now. We are waiting for the live action coverage!

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon, you are absolutely correct. I read it wrong

Go Guy!! You can do it!! (I am part of your cheering section today)

They are looking good. I just happened to have a roasting rack that I put the ribs for the top level on. The temp has stayed between 250 to 230. Right now it is at 230 and has been there the longest. When it was 250 I just closed the top vent to half and the bottom vents are at half. More to come.

Comment

Here we go. This is after about 1.5 hours.

Comment

Well the pic didn't work but your narrative was excellent. Hopefully after the event is over you can get the pic thing sorted out.

Comment

Tell me Barry what are you seeing with the picture? Also I know everyone says that you can't check ribs with a thermometer but I put my Thermopen in a meaty top of the rib and it showed 173. This is on the top level. To me that says overcooked???

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs for New Year.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	47126ne

New Year's Ribs
                Attached Files

Comment

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got this pick and they look great. You sir, are going to be a hit today!!

Guy, they should be 180-190ish if you want to go by temp

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  Tell me Barry what are you seeing with the picture? Also I know everyone says that you can't check ribs with a thermometer but I put my Thermopen in a meaty top of the rib and it showed 173. This is on the top level. To me that says overcooked???
                  Not overcooked. I agree with Jon and maybe as much as 195*F. I use the Thermopen on the thick end between the 2nd and 3rd ribs in from the end.

The extra temp just breaks down the collogen/gristle and makes them more tender.

Comment

Jon And Barry, I had 12 people here eating those ribs. I approached every person and asked their opinion and asked them to be blunt otherwise they would be eating them again. If they are not good I don't want to cook them the same way again. Everyone said they were very tender and good. So I guess a successful day. I also cooked a pot of collards, a pot of Black eyed peas and my wife cooked Mac and Cheese. And corn bread.

Thank you both for your help.

Guy

Comment

Yea Team!! I am so glad for you Guy. You had a great set of sides that are traditional for New Years Day to support those great ribs.

Did you offer a variety of sauces or were they traditional Memphis dry?

I got to make some cornbread soon.

Comment

Congrats. Thats a big undertaking. You should be proud. Its only going to get better.

Comment

Wow thanks guys. I have not had this many claps in awhile. High School football was the last time. LOL Got a last question or two. I did not get much bark on the ribs and I am going to say this was due to my rub. I used a rub that I got from Black's Barbecue, a famous place in Lockhart, Texas going back to 1932. I have actually been there and eaten their brisket they are famous for. The directions said it was highly concentrated and to use lightly so I did. I will be making some MRub tomorrow and a lot of it. Also I think I took the ribs off before I really wanted to because of 12 hanging tongues in front of me. I tried the crack method for doneness picking up the rids with tongs and they were not quite there. Any thoughts, criticism or comments??

Guy

Comment

Comment, I think you performed in an excellent manner for your first attempt at a large, for you, group. Leave the ribs on until they reach 195*F between ribs i-2 and 2-3 on the thick meaty end. That last 5-10 degrees will two to things it will break done the last of the collagen and put more of a bark on it. Try that first. If the bark doesn't thicken up check out this article.

Bark is that sweet, rich, crusty surface on low and slow cooked meat, and for many of us, the best part. It is part pellicle and part spice crust, but how does it form? The Maillard reaction, polymerization, and evaporation are key. Find out how to get better bark on your brisket, ribs, and pork shoulder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here