Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

2.5 hour StL ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xaugievike
    Club Member
    • Jan 2017
    • Chicagoland
    • Weber Genesis 300 series
      Weber Summit Charcoal With custom grill center
      Weber Performer w/SNS
      PBC
      Blackstone 22" TableTop Griddle
      Ooni Pro Pizza oven

2.5 hour StL ribs!

There are a few layers to this story...

To begin with, prior to the super bowl, I took advantage of the SRF half-off sale...a splurge im not likely to often make, but one I also do not regret.

Then very early in this past week my mini-me caught a nasty stomach bug that had her laid up for 3 days...only to really recover her appetite late in the week...when she did, she specifically requested I make ribs today b/c she was really hungry, but thought she'd need to wait, specifically, for Sunday to be ready to handle ribs....I was quite flattered by this request, but thats a dad story for another venue. my thought was that a slab of the SRF StL spare's would be perfect for this occasion. so I dry-brined them and applied some Memphis-dust to them this morning to prepare for the cook.

But.... more than a month ago, some coworkers and I had purchased and scheduled a tasting and tour of a local (very) micro-distillery here in town to celebrate the end of our "busy season"...that tour was scheduled for today, however, the timing I did not think would impact the aforementioned rib cook/request.

well - you know how it goes...the tasting was great, the distiller was very interesting and I learned a lot, but then I sat down with the boys and one thing led to another (no actual fun story...just shooting the breeze)....and the cook was looking at a later start than planned...a lot later. 100% my fault and 100% careless on my part. but I didnt go into this totally blind. I had done an earlier single-slab rib cook on my PBC and remember it finishing WAY faster than planned. so while I was conscious of the late start...I had a strategy...

I babysat the PBC more than I normally would, and between the vent and the lid I kept the temps at a steady(ish) 300. some fastidious checks of tenderness eventually led a perfectly cooked slab of ribs in only 2.5 hours!! All parties are happy! I dont know how much of this was the SRF slab, or my babysitting, or the PBC being awesome, or the knowledge I gained here...likely all of the above came together (luckily!) perfectly...

Im not sure I'd recommend, or repeat this cook - but for this time anyway...it worked out.
    Attached Files
  • smokenoob
    Club Member
    • Dec 2017
    • Gulf Breeze, Florida

nice save! how was the bark on the turbo ribs? smokey?

Comment

• DWCowles
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Smiths Grove, Ky
      • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Looks good!

Comment

• FireMan
        Charter Member
        • Jul 2015
        • Bottom of Winnebago

Maybe perfect storm. I know I’m going to have to try it. Good lookin!

Comment

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          I figure a broken clock is right twice a day....like I said, won't "try" to do this again...but if one had to....
      • xaugievike
        Club Member
        • Jan 2017
        • Chicagoland
        • Weber Genesis 300 series
          Weber Summit Charcoal With custom grill center
          Weber Performer w/SNS
          PBC
          Blackstone 22" TableTop Griddle
          Ooni Pro Pizza oven

it was enough...I tossed my normal amount of hickory chunks onto the coal bed...it was not lacking in smoke flavor in my opinion. the other mouths agreed they were as good as "usual."

Comment

• RonB
          Club Member
          • Apr 2016
          • Near Richmond VA
          • Weber Performer Deluxe
            SNS
            Pizza insert
            Rotisserie
            Smokenator 1000
            Cookshack Smokette Elite
            2 Thermapens
            Chefalarm
            Dot
            lots of probes.
            CyberQ

Congrats on the success.

Comment

• BourBonQ
            Club Member
            • Oct 2017
            • Lowcountry of South Carolina
            • Pit Barrel Cooker
              Blaze 32" Gasser with Sear Station and Rotisserie
              Jenn-Air 6 Burner w/ Dual Oven and Stainless Flat Top
              Camp Chef Explorer 60EX with Grill Box and Griddle
              Thermoworks Thermapen Mk4
              Maverick ET-733 2-Probe Wireless Thermometer
              Thermopro TP20 2-Probe Wireless Thermometer
              Anova 900W Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
              Selection of Grandma's Antique Cast Iron Cookware
              Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Oyster/Turkey Cooker
              Weber Standard Size Chimney Starter
              Foodsaver Vac Sealer

I've enjoyed sub-3hr STLs a few times now on the PBC, they've been turning out great. Helps when trying to time them at football tailgating events when kickoff is at noon. Figured if Rendezvous gets away with it, can't be all that bad!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
            Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
            Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
            This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order