Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.5 hour StL ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5 hour StL ribs!

There are a few layers to this story...

To begin with, prior to the super bowl, I took advantage of the SRF half-off sale...a splurge im not likely to often make, but one I also do not regret.

Then very early in this past week my mini-me caught a nasty stomach bug that had her laid up for 3 days...only to really recover her appetite late in the week...when she did, she specifically requested I make ribs today b/c she was really hungry, but thought she'd need to wait, specifically, for Sunday to be ready to handle ribs....I was quite flattered by this request, but thats a dad story for another venue. my thought was that a slab of the SRF StL spare's would be perfect for this occasion. so I dry-brined them and applied some Memphis-dust to them this morning to prepare for the cook.

But.... more than a month ago, some coworkers and I had purchased and scheduled a tasting and tour of a local (very) micro-distillery here in town to celebrate the end of our "busy season"...that tour was scheduled for today, however, the timing I did not think would impact the aforementioned rib cook/request.

well - you know how it goes...the tasting was great, the distiller was very interesting and I learned a lot, but then I sat down with the boys and one thing led to another (no actual fun story...just shooting the breeze)....and the cook was looking at a later start than planned...a lot later. 100% my fault and 100% careless on my part. but I didnt go into this totally blind. I had done an earlier single-slab rib cook on my PBC and remember it finishing WAY faster than planned. so while I was conscious of the late start...I had a strategy...

I babysat the PBC more than I normally would, and between the vent and the lid I kept the temps at a steady(ish) 300. some fastidious checks of tenderness eventually led a perfectly cooked slab of ribs in only 2.5 hours!! All parties are happy! I dont know how much of this was the SRF slab, or my babysitting, or the PBC being awesome, or the knowledge I gained here...likely all of the above came together (luckily!) perfectly...

Im not sure I'd recommend, or repeat this cook - but for this time anyway...it worked out.
    Attached Files

nice save! how was the bark on the turbo ribs? smokey?

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Maybe perfect storm. I know I’m going to have to try it. Good lookin!

Comment

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          I figure a broken clock is right twice a day....like I said, won't "try" to do this again...but if one had to....

it was enough...I tossed my normal amount of hickory chunks onto the coal bed...it was not lacking in smoke flavor in my opinion. the other mouths agreed they were as good as "usual."

Comment

Congrats on the success.

Comment

I've enjoyed sub-3hr STLs a few times now on the PBC, they've been turning out great. Helps when trying to time them at football tailgating events when kickoff is at noon. Figured if Rendezvous gets away with it, can't be all that bad!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here