Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any modifications to cooking when no bone in shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any modifications to cooking when no bone in shoulder

Hi all,

Sadly my butcher got the order wrong and has given me two x 2kg shoulders with no bone in. (supposed to have been 4 kg each with bone)

With the bone in, it normally takes around 22 hours on smokey mountain and it pretty much always comes out really good.

Is there anything I need to consider now that there is no bone in the pork shoulder? ( We have a lot of guests coming as it is my daughter's birthday party)

I will also go and buy additional pork tomorrow.

Cheers

Not really, the biggest thing will be the fact that you now have 2 smaller pieces. Those are usually the sized butts I do (2kg ~ 4.5 lbs or so) and I usually need 12hrs with wrapping after the stall, 16-18 w/o wrapping. With boneless I just try to form the pieces in as round of hunk on the grate as I can.

Comment

What Huskee said - just tie them up so the size is uniform. On the bright side, smaller hunks mean more bark.

Comment

I actually prefer the boneless and ask for it specifically. Easier to cut steaks and do other things, PLUS you're not paying for bone !!!

Comment

Just tie them up and cook them just like you would if they had a bone in them.

Comment

He gave you a gift. I like them without the bone. They don't really cook any different, but they produce great pulled pork. Look at it thins way, that bone does nothing but cost you more money, as it adds to the total weight of the butts.
            I don't tie mine up, I just put them on the grate, they should stay together just fine, unless they really screwed up while removing the bone. Here is what they look like on my BKK.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	461814Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8343.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	461815

Comment

CHeers, that puts my mind at ease

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here