Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Smoked Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Smoked Ham

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_171317_1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	417202Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_170818_1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	417203

After another fantastic education by Meathead and his "ultimated smoked ham" piece I did this 8 LB ham with Chris Lily's "spicy apricot glaze". This was done on Saturday and I was running a little bit hot for the initial burn while descending from 375 degrees after baking a couple breads:
    I'd like to share a recipe I found by "Nutmeg Nanny" https://www.nutmegnanny.com/pumpkin-yeast-bread/ I produced a couple nice loaves on a wood-fired kamado, a Primo XL

Anyone using a kamado style ceramic grill will confirm that it's impossible to reduce the heat quickly. While wrapped after 30 minutes and indirect I suspected it would work out just fine. Once the ham reached 130 the oven temp was down to 225 and the end result was fantastic.

The grill has been closed for the past few days and I believe a whole beef brisket is being scheduled ... Happy cooking!! and eating!!!

Beautiful! I do Meathead’s ham recipe every Christmas. The family loves it.

Comment

Nice Primo. Do you order you order your Rockwood online? Where from? My go to site no longer carries lump of any kind.

Comment

JCBBQ , Amazon has it for a crazy $51 - https://www.amazon.com/The-Saint-Lou.../dp/B01HTZFEHM

In early June I ordered it from Firecraft @ $22 + $8 (shipping) https://www.firecraft.com/article/pr...charcoal-20lbs They don't appear to be advertising it now but you may be able to email your request.

I like Rockwood but do not think it is as good as its ratings suggest - planned on posting separately on lump charcoal. Check out: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm to shop for yourself.

I just received my second bag of Jealous Devil - Paraguay and received another that looks good: "Original Natural" - Ukraine to try. I've also tried "Royal Oak" U.S. and will not get it again - too much junk in the bag.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, FireCraft was my goto for wood and lump. It was like $20 a bag and free shipping if you spent $100. Let me know if you find another reasonable source...and keep your reviews coming on the stuff you are trying.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here