Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Recipes

Bought some pork belly yesterday. Bacon to be made soon. We have a local farm that makes 'Hungarian pepper bacon'. We love it. Anyone have a recipe?

This is a must read:

Homemade bacon is easy and the results are much better than grocery store smoked bacon. You can make countless variations once you have the basic homemade smoked bacon recipe down.

I make the Maple.

Be warned, once you make your own you can not go back to eating store bought. Your taste buds won't allow it.

Comment

ComfortablyNumb yup, I've been all over that entry. I don't consider the stuff I buy 'store bought' but it's possible I will find you are right anyway.

Comment

Give it a go, you won't go back!

Comment

It is a great recipe. Plus you will know you're doing it safely.

Comment

If there's homemade bacon involved, sounds like I'm in!
            Hungarian Pepper Bacon, here's a startin' point...

Comment

I'm don't know what makes it "Hungarian style". Did you ask them how they do it? All they could do is refuse to tell you... Might be worth a try. Good luck

Comment

JCGrill Does the bacon you get have paprika in it? I Googled about a bit and most led to 'Paprika Bacon'.

This is how I make paprika bacon. 1- Cure your pork belly as you any other time. I use 100 grams of sea salt and 50 grams of sugar for every 1 kilogram of belly. Press this cure into belly making sure that all is covered well. Place into a ziploc bag, add any left over cure mix that didn't...

Comment

ComfortablyNumb HorseDoctor indeed, and I do know the ingredients, but based on Meathead 's write up, I'm uncertain about whether putting paprika in the cure will do much for me. Agreed that I can ask.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170806_100607.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	358042

Comment

Or should I say, I know some of the ingredients. "spices" is pretty broad, but there is paprika, this I know.

Comment

OK, I'm Hungarian, and I grew up a long time ago over my grandfather's storefront. He was a Hungarian butcher. We didn't have all of the fancy smokers back in the 50's, but we did have a large brick smoke house in the cellar (he built the place). We had incredible meats all of the time...sausages of every variety, cold cuts, you name it...I never knew who Oscar Myer was. But I do remember that "Hungarian Bacon" (AKA "szallona") is very different from traditional American uncooked bacon, it's a cut of fatty slab back that is smoked to the point where it can be eaten without further cooking. The "back" or rind is heavily covered with paprika *after it's smoked*, not before. One old favorite BBQ dish also called szallona, is to cut a hunk off the slab, heat it on the grill or over a fire until it drips fat, then drip the fat onto fresh peasant bread. Not heart healthy, but delicious! One can follow up with eating the crisp chunks. This was the place, now long gone, with my grandfather standing in the doorway:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks fer sharin' both info an' pic!!!
                        Super Cool!!!!

Here's another recipe if you are interested in a different one. I like it with maple syrup and of course, smoked.

Comment

PodunkFarm thanks for sharing your wonderful memories. I suspect that this bacon does not meet the definition of true Hungarian bacon, and probably the only thing that makes it close is the paprika. I am of German-Hungarian decent; my mother's side emigrated from the Banat region. I don't remember my grandmother ever making anything like this, and szallona was not part of our tradition (probably too much German in our blood).

I'm hoping to make something close to this particular bacon, even if it isn't well-named. I guess I will ask the seller about it and just wing it. Thanks again.

Comment

Regular paprika doesn't add a great lot but color. "Half sharp" or "hot" paprika will add some heat, while smoked paprika will obviously add some smoke flavor. As PodunkFarm noted, it makes sense that it might be added after the smoke. Sounds interesting. I may need to do a little experimenting with that.

Comment

• PodunkFarm
                            PodunkFarm commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A lot of the Hungarian recipes I cook contain paprika. Here's the Hunky secret weapon about paprika: You need to add a little crushed caraway seed to bring out the flavor. Not too much, you don't want to taste it in your stew or sauce. But it does bring out the flavor of paprika.

I've a friend who is First Generation Hungarian. she may have something or be able to find something for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here