Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! First Pulled Pork disaster in Germany.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! First Pulled Pork disaster in Germany.

Hello,

Tried to do my first Pulled Pork. I tried and used the recipes from the Meathead book. The result was rather bad. It took 22 hours to reach the 194° F inside and the meat was really dry overall.

To start with some Information:

Grill used: Weber gas Spirit E-210 Original
    Meat: I bought a pig shoulder. The bone was already taken out. The weight after cutting away the unwanted fat outside was still about 8,5 Pounds. I had to use strings to bind it together because the bone taken out left the meat Kind of "unorganized". I saled it one day before and used the Memphis Dust before I put it on the grill.

I attatched some Pictures. I set up the grill with indirect heat one burner in low only on one side. I placed the bowls with water under the meat to Keep temperature arround 225F. That worked well. I used the Weber Wood bowl on the burner side for the Wood Chips for the Smoking. I measured meat inside temperature and also grill temperature. See attached Pictures. I started at 6am:

By 6pm the meat temperature was at 170°F:

Just to try and follow the recipe I went on until 4 am, when it reached 194 °F. There is a picture attached.

The meat was to dry especially on the outside. I guees because of the way to Long cooking time.

My question is. What did I do wrong? Was the meat too much? Too big and heavy?

Your help is appreciated, I am German on my first steps to cook some good BBQ.

Thank you
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GermanBBQ; July 19, 2017, 07:46 AM.

You didn't do anything wrong. Going unwrapped like that isn't uncommon to take 20+ hours, and it also makes such a bold bark that many think it is too dry of a bark layer (myself included). Next time, try wrapping tightly in a double layer of foil when the butt reaches about 180 or so. That will speed up your cook, keep the bark layer a little more tame, and perhaps it will be more to your liking.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +1^ on what Huskee said.👍

Welcome GermanBBQ

Comment

Thank you for the Information.

Do you think it might help as well to go for a smaller Portion of meat as well like 5 Pounds, like in the recipe? To bad in Germany you can't get nice cuts like a but. Same goes for the ribs.

Also one question. The Wood Chips to longer to burn than in the recipe mentioned. For the whole amount about 4 hours. Is that okay? I think it is because of the burner on the Weber beeing on lowest setting to Keep the temperature down. I even had to put a Little ball of foil under the lid to Keep it an Inch open to stay on 225°F.

Thank you again for helping the German beginner!

Comment

Yes, cutting that chunk of meat in half next time will help....but not by much time-wise. It will create more surface area to get bark and smoke exposure and rub, etc. My personal preference is 3-5lb hunks of meat....I will always cut butts down to that range. The wood chips is normal and not a problem at all, unless you thought the smoke was too strong. Those who cook with stickburners cook with smoke the entire time (myself included). It's only "too much" or "not enough" if you don't like it!

Comment

Hello Huskee,

thanks a lot for the Information. I will intigate your suggestions in my next try this weekend. I feel mor confident after knowing I was not that much off. It is great to have such good help, since Germany has not much BBQ knowledge.

Thank you!

Comment

Did you have a water pan or were those only drip pans? Gas heat is dry, so without a water pan on a gas grill which by necessity has great ventilation the meat might more dry. As Huskee said wrapping at 180 will help or you can try wrapping when it goes into the stall at about 160. I don't wrap unless I am in a time crunch. Also, wrapping when it is done and keeping it warm in an old ice chest with towels for a couple hours helps, too. Well you have enough variables to test out on at least 4 more pork shoulders. I like to cook mine with the bone in. I cook on a BGE.

Comment

Your pictures look good. I don't think there is anything wrong with your set-up. Pork Butt is very forgiving. You might try increasing your Pit Temperature to 260 degrees f. Then Wrap when the meat hit's 170 to 180 degrees f as Huskee suggested. (at a point where you have good bark) I think you can reduce the amount of time significantly. Don't get discouraged. Good luck on your next cook!!

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree here, you may find that a hotter cook temp works better for your cooker.

Hello Germany. You did just fine. Wow, my first cook was..... a story for another time. All of your future cooks will get better in a shorter period of time. you did the hard part. All of the above is good advice. We like a light smoke in my house so as a rule for butts we use a little smoke for a longer period of time rather than a heavy smoke. just like Huskee said its all about preference.my ribs get smoke for 60 -90 minutes at most. its different for everyone. on those thick cuts bump up the temp or cut them down to save a few minutes. Its the uniformed thickness, not the weight. I really cant add more then the above but wanted to offer support and encouragement.

For sure since your on a gasser dont be afraid to bump up the temps 250-265. Then be sure to rest in the faux cambro. Worst case you eat sooner and have time for more beer.

Comment

How fatty was the butt? Shortening the cook & wrapping may well help prevent "dry", but a very lean piece of meat starts you out on the wrong foot from the beginning.

Comment

GermanBBQ, I think You Did Great for the First Time! 👍👍👍👍👍 As HorseDoctor has Said You May Have Trimmed Your Butt/Shoulder too Close!
                  Just a Suggestion if You Think Your Pulled Pork is a Little Dry add some Apple Juice to the Pan and Cover with Foil in the Oven for a Bit, It Will Moisten Your Pork! You can experiment with other Fruit Juices and even Vinegar! Smoke On!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    or butter!!!!

The only thing I would recommend would be to run a little hotter if you want cut down on the time. I typically do 8.5 lb. shoulders to 203 degrees in 12-13 hours unwrapped. My favorite temp for my pit is 250-260 for shoulders. 22 hours sounds long to me. Was your grill running cooler than you thought? All said, your pictures look pretty nice - how was the flavor?

Comment

I would recommend buying a cheap smoker...🤗 PBC's are very inexpensive and they produce great BBQ, rumor has it.😎

Comment

Hey GermanBBQ that's not a disaster! Disaster is when not even the dog will eat the final result, and your rubbish gets indigestion. For a first cook it's perfectly ok!​

Comment

Love the cook and the writeup, and all the responses above!
                        Keep cooking and you will dial in the stuff on your cooker.

What temp measurement device are you using to get that 225 degree measurement? That sounds tool long for 225 degrees and 8 pounds of meat. I have never wrapped a pork butt, and even when I cooked at 225-235 on the WSM, 14 hours is about the longest it took a big butt to get tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here