Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions - Wagyu Short Ribs Temperature on Primo XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions - Wagyu Short Ribs Temperature on Primo XL

I have these Wagyu short ribs. One order is boneless and the other is bone-in. The website I got it from said to cook the boneless ones to medium rare. However, with the bone-in, they don't say. This is what they say for the boneless:

" Best cooked to medium-rare to melt that beautiful marbling right into the meat, on a hot (but not raging) fire, until you get that luscious brown crust on the outside."

I was planning on smoking them low and slow. This will be my first cook with short ribs and my first cook on my new Primo XL and I don't want to screw it up. My only experience so far is pork ribs on my Bradley Smoker. So, what to do?

Thanks to all on this site for sharing their expertise and wisdom!

My New Grill!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PrimoScale.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	321275
    Last edited by Omega-Man; May 19, 2017, 04:33 PM.

Never heard of short ribs done medium rare on a grill, unless cut thin like korean/ flanken style cut. Maybe because these are wagyu?

Sounds like a perfect candidate for Sous Vide to preserve the some of the wagyu greatness.

Salt and heavy pepper, Smoke em at 225 but don't take them to 200 internal temp. Go by probe tender. I bet they'd be tender at around 175ish.

Comment

I was going to say 250, 4-5 hours. 225 would do nicely too. Maybe safer there Bc they are Wagyu. Boy I bet those aren't gonna suck. Never mind the medium rare, probe tender.

Comment

I'd even go lower, smoke at 200 degrees LOL!!! This will require some tender loving care.

Comment

If I wanted medium rare, I would order a steak. For short ribs, even Wagyu short ribs, I would do them like lonnie mac did: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-namp-123a-srf

Comment

Pictures are mandatory for these ribs. Before and after. That's the rules. Let's see what ribs ya got. NAMP 123A? C? Pics will help on the cook!

If they are like mine, these need a long long low and slow to break them down to edible. Lot's of stuff to break down. You can't do these ribs to med or anything. They need to get to probe tender.

Comment

• Omega-Man
              Omega-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry. I've been trying to post pics but keep getting message that the content of the file does not match the extension (jpg) But, it does. It opens as a jpg in everything else So, If you have suggestions on posting, please let me know. I got it working, see above, my new grill!
              Last edited by Omega-Man; May 19, 2017, 04:34 PM.

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Edit the pic. Crop it just abit. For some reason that is a fairly common occurence around here, and that usually fixes it.

Looks great brotha! Let's see a pic of them ribs! I am most curious!

Comment

Gotta see those before pics... and after of course.

Comment

Yeah, I want to see pics of those Wagyu ribs! Nice Primo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here