Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs to Sauce or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs to Sauce or Not

Smoked a nice rack of ribs for my wife today. 6 1/2 hrs in the smoke. I decided to sauce about half the rack and not the other. Ribs were dry brined for 12+ hours and then liberally dusted with MMD. My opinion is that the un-sauced section had much more smoke flavor than the sauced area. The sauce was a KC style, and while it is an excellent sauce, it masked the smoke flavor many of us crave. You choose.

I prefer sauce on the side

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Me Three...

Most people like the sticky ribs. It helps if you put a little spin on the sauce. Think smokey ancho peppers.

Comment

I buy the cheapest BBQ sauce at wolly world, lay it on near the end.

Using Huskee's rub, I have done some just for me and instead of saucing near the end I sprinkle a little more rub.

Comment

I've experimented by saucing halfway through the cook, and adding a couple more light coats. Ehhh, not a good idea. The wet sauce sucks in the smoke, and that's not a good thing. I'll eat anything, but my personal fave is a good rub, a good fire, no wrap and no sauce. On the side if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          I buy the cheapest BBQ sauce at wolly world, lay it on near the end.

Using Huskee's rub, I have done some just for me and instead of saucing near the end I sprinkle a little more rub.
          Huskee's rub? What's that?

Comment

Like wings, I love ribs both ways. There are some awesome dry rubs and some awesome rib recipes with glaze, jellies and all kinds of different sauces.

I like my ribs both ways. I love a good dry rub. There is something about dry rubbed ribs. The bark is always sensational and they feel more like a serious BBQ rib.

But I really like some Texas Rib Candy, Tiger sauce or some Blues Hogs Sauce glazed over my ribs in the last 20 mins of cooking, with the heat cranked up just a bit. That is a special treat. And that is what it is, a treat, especially in the KBQ.

Comment

Sometimes I sauce and sometimes I don't but I do like the unsauce ribs better.

Comment

I usually brush on a very light coating of Sweet Baby Ray's. Just enough to get a little shine. If anybody wants more than that, I will make it available for them to apply it themselves.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Love that stuff!

• Lowjiber
                Lowjiber commented
                Editing a comment
                I still do ribs the 3-2-1 way. I lightly hit 'em with SBR during the last hour. I've never had a negative comment.

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the same...more of a glaze than saucing the ribs so they are not really sticky per say but they get the sweetness and touch of heat from the sauce.

Originally posted by smokinsteve View Post
              Smoked a nice rack of ribs for my wife today. 6 1/2 hrs in the smoke. I decided to sauce about half the rack and not the other. Ribs were dry brined for 12+ hours and then liberally dusted with MMD. My opinion is that the un-sauced section had much more smoke flavor than the sauced area. The sauce was a KC style, and while it is an excellent sauce, it masked the smoke flavor many of us crave. You choose.
              A couple of weeks back, I smoked two racks. The first was "Ed's Famous" - basically just a simple rub; the second, Meathead's Chinatown. Now personally I prefer my plain ribs. But the audience preferred Meathead's. So it goes.

Comment

I've tried "Memphis" style ribs, with Meathead's suggested Memphis dust, and to me they were just "OK". I like sauce, carmelized, on my ribs.

I'm also a KCBS certified judge, and I can tell you that if you're competing and don't sauce your ribs, you will not win.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TBoneJack, I learn Something Every Time You Post! Thank You!
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting. I didn't know that.

Personally I prefer a dry rub but like TBJ mentioned you won't win in a comp without sauce. Best commercial ribs I ever ate were the dry ribs from Joes of KC (formerly OK Joes).

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seconded on Joe's out in the gas station on the Kansas side of KC.

• Greatplainsbrewer
                  Greatplainsbrewer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Central Nebraska. Try to get to KC every summer for baseball and BBQ

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Greatplainsbrewer which town are you in? I grew up in Lex and now reside in Papio.

I'm about 50/50 on sauce and it pretty much comes down to whether it feels like a sauce day or not. The wife and daughter like the sweet stuff so I usually cook 2 racks, one gets sauce and the other maybe, maybe not. If I'm saucing for me I like Johnny Harris or Vergo's Rendezvous, the girls get the new Heinz KC sauce.

Comment

By popular demand (and I do mean demand), I always sauce during the last 30 minutes or so ...

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hahaha! I completely understand.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

I have half a mind to glaze at times toward the end. I can go both ways. Me and the Moonunit like dry rub sometimes, and a sauce others. And that's all I have to please. Lately I have tried a few. The BBQ Sauce from Malcolm Reed is dang near my favorite other than Blues Hog. Another one of my faves is a sauce that was come up with way back on The Virtual Webber Bullet about 10 years ago I think by Larry Wolfe. I have used it on everything, including some wings just last weekend.

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce. Totally FABULOUS on wings but a good knock out punch on ribs too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here