Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother's Day ham need some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother's Day ham need some advice...

Okay I'm going to cook up a fresh ham. I'm picking it up on may 2nd and will start curing it that nite. I'm wondering if a 36 hour sous vide cook then a smoke with the glaze on the day of serving would be a good way to go? Any advice also maybe a cook temp for the ham in the sous vide? I was thinking 150

I've got no idea, but definitely interested in what those with experience say! Good luck.

Comment

Yeah that's the problem. I've done the combo with the brisket and it turned out amazing. Just interested how the ham would turn out

Comment

I haven't done ham, cured or fresh, in the SV. But if you're planning on smoking it a few hours after the SV, I don't think there's be any harm going down further to 140-145. It'll get cooked and probably be a bit moister. See if you can access this article - it has you covered: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ney-glazed-ham

They're recommending a fast hot oven sear. Me, I'd give it a couple or three hours in smoke at 275 or so.

And be sure to read the comments!
        Last edited by EdF; April 25, 2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

You should give this article a look. This is a killer recipe.

Create the best ham you've ever tasted with this ultimate double smoked ham recipe. Ordinary store bought whole or spiral ham is taken over the top by slowly smoking it on the grill. The true star of the show, however, is the sweet and savory glaze!

Comment

I just did a 16 lbs ham for easter. No clue about sous vide, but make sure to inject properly. I had never injected before, needed to be more precise. Had some grey inside. The fresh smoke on the ham is what made it better than store bought. Have fun, leg of pig is large. Mine was 22 lbs before trimming. Use that bone ect in some hoppin john, a recipe on the side for black eyed peas and rice.

Comment

I’m super curious as to how this turned out. It seems like it would fit well into the desalination phase of the process. If you knew exactly how much fresh water to achieve the level of saltiness there would be no need for the plastic bag.

Comment

I need to make a fresh ham, at some point. They started selling some gorgeous hams at my small, local butcher. I almost pulled the trigger the other day, but then again, I have this Wagyu brisket to cure for some insane pastrami.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha, I love it Ed, I might have to steal that one from you! Hope your having a great Saturday, brother! EdF

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was a gift - so it's all yours!

It's a relaxed day with a week of vacation in front of me!

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!!!!

Not a bad spot to be, my friend! EdF

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here