Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many ribs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many ribs??

Cooking ribs next weekend for 9 males (3 adults, 6 grown teenagers) and 3 women, one of the females is a vegan when I'm not serving BBQ.

I plan to go with back ribs if I can get some that are not too big, unless I can find some pretty small SLC's.

Hoping I can maybe fit all what I need on the 22 and 26 kettles so I can low and slow them dudes to death.

I'm thinking 4 racks since I can totally picture one rack easily filling up three peeples.

I'd think more like 1/2 rack per male (there's teenagers involved) and 1/3 rack per female ... six racks total (after rounding up). Two three packs from Costco should do the trick (with a high probability of a few left overs). Why the kettles rather than the PBC?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. 2 3-paks from either Sam's or Costco should fill the bill.

My vote is 5 racks in the ~3lb (give or take) range. But the world won't end if you cook & serve 4 or 6.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the 5 rack idea.

What kind of sides are you doing, something that is heavy and filling will slow them down on the ribs, but when you nail the ribs they wont care for the sides. I would do 1/2 slab per person. You could coil them to make more room.

Comment

Potato salad and what not will be served. I may have to go PBC, I may not be around for most of the cook.

I know someone didn't mention Costo. I've never seen nor even have a clue where the nearest Costco is located.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        If you dont have a membership to them you cant get thru the door unless you are going to sign up

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a Costco member...🙄 Anyone that owns a grill and/or smoker ought to be a Costco member!!! The amount of money saved on premium quality meat over time will pay for your BBQ gear.

MBMorgan Is on target, but if they are collage age teenagers you might want to allot 3/4 of a slab. Especially if they aren't likely to put a dent in the sides. These guys have hollow legs to fill up.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; March 6, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I don't know exactly where you are in east TX, but if you go to the Costco site, you will see a link to "locations". Their way of doing it is strange, so you will have to enter several larger cities in order to get good results. For example, if you just enter "Texas", it doesn't show any locations in Houston. If you enter "Houston TX", you get 8 locations in Houston.
        Last edited by RonB; March 6, 2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I just mentioned Costco because that's what first comes to mind when pork or beef products are mentioned. Their ribs come in 3-rack packs and back ribs already have the membrane conveniently removed. Obviously, any source will do just fine ... although it's a bummer if there's no Costco close enough for you to regularly go broke "saving money" like me ... ...

Comment

• jgg85234
            jgg85234 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Breadhead if you would just go more often, the bill would be lower

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Go more often... that will definitely reduce the average purchase amount but my freezer will still be full.🤙🤡 Yes customtrim the crowds are large. That's what happens when you have low low prices. BJ's is cheaper? Oh my! What is a BJ?😎
            Last edited by Breadhead; March 6, 2017, 02:49 PM.

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead BJ's is the same as costco,sams club etc. It is not as big not nation wide but better prices, my rib eyes i buy are 7.99 a pound i just picked up ribs for 1.69 on sale. Now they dont have the selection like costco but i dont need a prime packer every week either

I'm on the five or six side. Teenagers are impossible to predict. My son's friends at 15-17 could eat a whole rack on their own. The skinnier they were the more they ate. Side dishes tide adults over but kids tend to go right for the meat.

Comment

I have had no problem doing 6-8 racks of SLC in the PBC at one time and teenagers will eat a lot, I would go with 6 racks

Comment

I'd go with 6 racks!

Comment

I'd vote 6. You don't want anyone to go away hungry. And, if they're up to your usual quality, there still won't be any leftovers.

Best regards,
                Jim

Comment

I clculate 1/3 a slab to 1/2 a slab depending on how many sides I am serving.

Comment

I'll try 5.5 or so.

Comment

• jgg85234
                      jgg85234 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They sell 1/2 slabs down there in East Texas?

Jim

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, it means he's stashing 1/2 for chef's pickin's.

• jgg85234
                      jgg85234 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh I forgot that it takes many samplings when you're cooking many slabs of ribs. 1 per slab, right?

get 7 and invite me over

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here