Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ever Cook!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ever Cook!!

Ok well it's not my first ever cook per se but it's the first time I've used my smoker. I decided to do some pulled pork for the Superbowl on the advice that it's the most forgiving cut of meat to BBQ (and of course it's delicious).

I ordered a lovely cut of 5lb pork shoulder, which i rubbed with MMD then popped it in my Weber Kettle with SnS and 11 hours later had pulled pork!!

It wasn't quite that simple, it was really cold and damp here so it took me much longer to light than I expected, and an hour into the cook the temperatures spiked massively (turns out I hadn't put the lid back on properly). I sprayed the coals with some water and that brought the temp back down where it stayed at a steady 230* for the remainder of the cook. I was very impressed with how long the SnS held its temperature, 11 hours for the cook and there was plenty of heat and coals left for several hours more,even more impressive as it was only 37* outside.

The end results were delicious. I served it on some toasted brioche buns with some coleslaw, best pulled pork I've every had. Thank you Meathead and everyone on the site for the recipe, help and tips.

The Joint

MMD loving rubbed all over

Straight outta cooker

First pull

Very Nice!! Thats a beautiful piece of meat where did you order it from? (If I may ask) Great end result!! Lots O bark Sure it was tasty!!

Comment

• Paul299
      Paul299 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got it from Spelman butchers in Brigg (it's a market town in North Linconshire), they're about 8.5 miles away from where I live. They're very good and the butcher there is a friend of a friend so I know him quite well.

Nice job. Congrats on the successful cook!

Comment

Nice cook. Great looking bark....

Comment

Looks great. Congrats!

Comment

Looks super duper. Nice bark and smoke ring. Great job

Comment

That looks awesome. Great job!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

That's a hunk of deliciousness! Well done and thanks for the pics. I never get tired of fresh pulled pork.

Comment

Looks good. Pork shoulder is a good choice, since it is the most forgiving piece of meat to do low and slow - not to mention it tastes great.

Comment

this is how you get addicted. congrats! it looks amazing

Comment

Good work! The downside is that you will now be unimpressed by all but the very best bbq restaurants.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                          bbqoaf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Haha, is this ever true!

• Paul299
                          Paul299 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah that's a downside. The BBQ restaurant I go to is great, but this pulled pork I did was better. They do great brisket though which I think I'll struggle with (they import Prime USDA beef, I like to source local and America is far from local to me!!)

Beautiful meteor!

Now you can add "Best cook ever"!

Comment

Paul299, I think You just Impressed some Damned Good BBQers! Fantastic or Better! 👍👍👍👍👍
                          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here