Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Recipe - Pork Loin with Pesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Recipe - Pork Loin with Pesto

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the site since early summer and on Father's day my wife bought me my first smoker (yes, COS, but I've sealed it and it's done a good job with Ribs, Brisket and Turkey so far). I'm a real beginner, but am loving it so far and for Christmas I got Meathead's book, grill gloves, dual digital thermometer, two other smoke books and just joined the Pitmaster Club!

Meathead - I've followed your recipes to a T and they've always turned out great. I know time is an estimate and I use the digital thermometer to tell when it's done, BUT, your times have always been close. I injected a 2# pork loin yesterday morning and as soon as I got home I fired up the smoker. The book says one hour of cook time for a 6# loin so I figured mine would be about the same as it goes by thickness (right?) - but I allowed for extra time as it was cold out.

So, my question - is it a typo in the book - 1 hour? Or did I do something wrong? I kept the smoker between 215 and 240 (two little kids so I can't watch the smoker as closely as I'd like) and the loin took over two hours to cook (hit 135, but wasn't even throughout) and it was so late I just finished it off in the oven. The pesto hadn't crusted up like the photos until I put it at 400 for 15 minutes.

Context for the smoke: Charcoal with hickory log for the first 30 (then removed log), 38 degrees outside, little to no wind, two thermometers, one just above grate and one in the meat.

I'm learning every day so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    IslandNomad

Welcome IslandNomad

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

In my former COS a pork loin roast would take around 2 hrs.

Comment

times are all dependent on your situations. my smokes always take WAY longer than he suggests. the only way to know a time is to do it yourself and remember for next time (keeping in mind the conditions of the cook).

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here