Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Spray or not to Spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Spray or not to Spray

Hi Guys, I'm smoking pork baby back ribs, I'm using a Traeger Texas Elite or maybe its a Bit Tex, doesn't really matter what model, its a Traeger Pellet smoker. I started out smoking them for about an hour and half at 180 degrees then turned them up to 225. My question is, I have a tray of Apple Juice in the corner but I was also told to spray them once an hour with apple juice to keep them moist. What do you guys think about spraying them during the cooking time if there is a pan of apple juice already in the box? Thanks for your answers, they are greatly appreciated.

I'd see the advantage of spraying to be cooling the surface down a bit so the smoke will stick better. This seems to be an issue with the relatively light smoke of pellet cookers (according to what I've read, not experience), so I'd go ahead and do it. Just keep the spray bottle cool.

Comment

1. don't waste apple juice by putting it in the box... water works just as well
      2. spritz them if you wish (I usually do)...
      3. spritz DON'T soak or you will wash all the good stuff off.

Comment

Thanks EdF, sometimes it puts out a huge amount of smoke and other times not so much, I guess its when the auger adds more pellets to the fire pot. I can't complain, it has turned out some very good ribs and some briskets. I just need to learn more about rubs and how much to apply for the different meats.

I use 100% pure apple juice, I've even used it on steaks when I'm grilling. Thanks again for your comment.

Comment

Thanks Nate, very good advice, I'll not waste apple juice in the pan any more. I do have the spray bottle set so that it is putting out a fine mist not a stream. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I have another question, should I rotate the ribs and turn them end for end while cooking? Something I've always wondered about. It seems like a good idea but it keeps the lid open too long and drops the temp quite a bit. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by sptrainnut View Post
              I have another question, should I rotate the ribs and turn them end for end while cooking? Something I've always wondered about. It seems like a good idea but it keeps the lid open too long and drops the temp quite a bit. Any thoughts?
              I stay meat side up all the way. Unless I'm in the PBC, then they are sideways when hanging, meat up if I go to the grate.

Also, I asked my male cat about spraying, he said to spray all the way.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                DWCowles I think what Jerod Broussard was talking about with his cat was spaying not spraying. Haha

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably not. Spraying is a particularly disgusting habit, usually of intact male cats. A way of marking their territory a lot akin to the proverbial "pi$$ing match " that dogs are renowned for.

Thanks Jerod for your comments, actually, I didn't make myself clear now that I've re-read my post, what I actually wanted to say was should I rotate the ribs, front to back and so forth, I have 3 on the grate, front, middle, back, so what I really wanted to ask was should I move the middle one to the back and the back one to the front and the front to the middle. Is this a good practice when you have more than one rack on the grate? I guess it would depend on the temps at the back of the smoker (as you have it open and are looking at it) and the temps in the front. I'm sure there must be a difference or at least I'm assuming that although the fire pot is directly in the center of the smoker IIRC. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Go by appearance. If one appears to be barking up quicker and another lagging behind, by all means rotate. That should keep them pretty even. After that it depends on passing or failing of the bend test or the toothpick test.

Thanks again Jerod, any hints as to temp when its time to pull them off. Is the tooth pick method like checking a cake?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Looking for tenderness. How easy it goes in. Check the thicker spots for sure. For full length racks I like the bend test.

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

Thanks again Jerod and thanks for the link, I'll read it closely and now I fully understand about temps and the bend test. Boy, I can see I really have a lot to learn. This site ROCKS!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                We've all been there. You definitely came to the right place.

You are currently working towards your Associates Degree after that it is up to you to earn a Bachelors, Masters, or even maybe a Doctorate.

You are at the right place to learn any of those degrees.

You are right that this site rocks as you will be amazed (sort of pun intended) as to all of the help you will get!

Pictures count!

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you all for your great advice and help, I'm going to go take pictures and then try and figure out how to upload to the site. Who knows, one of these days I might be up there with you guys, but I do have a long way to go. More to come.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161127_170853_resized_1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	244484Click image for larger version

Name:	20161127_175831_resized_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	244485

What do you know, I actually was able to upload these two shots of my ribs. Jerod, I tried the bend method but the ribs never cracked open like the picture on the link showed, they did however, almost fold in half. They smoked for about an hour and a half at 180 and then I upped the temp to 225 and they stayed on there for another 6 to 7 hours. The flavor was great, color was good and they had a really nice smoke ring. I'm disappointed though because they were (to me anyway) on the dry side. My family says they were terrific but I wasn't sold on them. Probably should have pulled them an hour prior to when I finally did. Oh well, such is life, maybe next time. Again, I thank you all for the comments and help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you all for your great advice and help, I'm going to go take pictures and then try and figure out how to upload to the site. Who knows, one of these days I might be up there with you guys, but I do have a long way to go. More to come.
                    Thanks for loadin' th' pics, great lookin' cook! Looks like yer 'up there' t' me.

We are all here to share, learn, an' git better....

Comment

Jerod, I tried the bend method but the ribs never cracked open like the picture on the link showed, they did however, almost fold in half. They smoked for about an hour and a half at 180 and then I upped the temp to 225 and they stayed on there for another 6 to 7 hours. The flavor was great, color was good and they had a really nice smoke ring. I'm disappointed though because they were (to me anyway) on the dry side. My family says they were terrific but I wasn't sold on them. Probably should have pulled them an hour prior to when I finally did. Oh well, such is life, maybe next time. Again, I thank you all for the comments and help, I really appreciate it.
                      Not cracking and being on the dry side means they were just slightly underdone. Not undercooked, just underdone. Go in 30 min increments until they crack like the pictures. You'll likely notice them being more juicy here too, since then more fat & collagen has had time to render down and give them that juicy mouthfeel and extra tenderness. I have large racks of ribs sometimes take 8 or 9hrs. My average is 6-7 though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here