Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone to pick with baby back ribs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone to pick with baby back ribs!

And that is that they've gotten just too meaty. Especially the shortest ones, there is so much meat on them that you can't get them tender, the meat doesn't behave the same way as the meat closer to the bone. Those two smallest ribs together are the size of a baseball almost.

I've preferred baby backs for years, but I'm going back to regular spares.

I agree, I have to fillet mine down to be uniform. Too much loin meat makes for some trouble. I try to find them 2.5lbs/rack or less, which is tricky for me sometimes.

Comment

I'm a fan of spare ribs!

Comment

I experienced the same issue on my last BB rib cook. They had a thick layer of loin meat that doesn't do well when cooked to normal rib internal temps.

Comment

Around here I can find back ribs on sale for $3.99/# most of the time and boneless loin for $1.67. Wonder why they leave more loin meat (weight) on the back ribs?

Comment

I guess I'm to cheap (sometimes out of necessity). But, I've been buying whole racks & really enjoying the meat, plus the extra meat of an untrimmed rack. Baby backs have gotten a little to meaty but are most expensive of the fare. My butcher last week had a sale on full racks at 99 cents a lb. They had gotten some hogs in for bacon & such & decided to blow the ribs out the door. I bought 30lbs. Switch to the spares, enjoy more & maybe save some dough.

Comment

Trim those last couple of ribs/meat from the rack and cook them separately/differently like via sous vide.

Comment

Ain't nothing that a knife can't take care of

Comment

I agree, This is why I like eating and cooking Spares instead of the babes!

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also agree with, as Danjohnston would say, Spinacker.

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spares ROCK!!!

Mosca , try sourcing locally. The baby back at the supermarket and wholesale stores are commodity pork grown for speed and weight.

The local farmer is more apt to be raising a tastier heritage breed and the hog won't be as big when it goes to market. I get my ribs from a local place in Blue Ridge and a rack of baby backs rarely exceeds 2 lb. and they're very uniform in thickness. The last pack I picked up at BJ's was from Smithfield's and 2 racks weighed around 5 lb or a little more. I had the same problem you're having with those, the meat on one end was 'way too thick to cook properly, it was almost like a pork chop. And we all know what happens to pork chops when you smoke them for 4 hours or so...

You'll pay more but you'll get what you pay for.

Best,
                  Bill

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here