Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Crock Pot Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VenomM3
    Club Member
    • May 2016

Crock Pot Ribs

I started cooking them at 1:38pm and in the recipe it states that it needs 7 hours, low and slow. It's only been almost 5 hours and the ribs have exceeded 145 degrees and I don't see many bones sticking out alot to indicate they're done. I'm lost and confused, I followed the recipe to the T and I always manage to mess up anything or everything I try to cook.
    Attached Files
  • VenomM3
    Club Member
    • May 2016

This is where I stand as of 5:45 pm and there still in the crock pot as we speak.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Club Member
      • Jun 2016
      • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
      • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
        Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
        For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
        Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
        Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

145 is not sufficient temp at 5 hours to break down the connective material in the ribs and tighten the proteins enough to produce pull back.

If the recipe says 7 hours, I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be done earlier than 8:38 PM.

Comment

• VenomM3
        VenomM3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks
    • Medusa
      Charter Member
      • Sep 2014
      • For those who are about to Cook - WE SALUTE YOU!

Weber Genesis Silver B - 14 years
        GG's
        Weber OTS
        Vortex
        SnS
        Maverick ET-733 dual 6' probes / Thermo-Pop
        ennoLogic eT650D IR ( -58 to 1202F)
        Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
        Kingsford Blue

I wonder if you can do the bend test on them to make sure they're done? I'd say go with the 7 hours or longer. Generally it takes about 5 1/2 hours for a rack of pork loin ribs on the kettle with the SnS running @225 - 230's. I think (but not sure) that 225ish is considered high on a slo-cooker.

Good Luck!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        Charter Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Winchester TN
        • Hardware
          Blackstone 36” Griddle
          Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado.
          Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill.
          Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0), DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
          Weber Chimney starters (regular and half).
          Joule.
          GrillGrates.
          Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
          ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
          KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks)
          Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins.
          SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
          MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Here's Meathead's Cabin Fever Slow Cooker Ribs. If this is the recipe you're using, you're looking for the ribs to be fall off the bone (very) tender to know when they are done. I hope yours are already there!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          • Jun 2014
          • East Texas
          • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
            Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
            Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
            Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
            Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
            Weber Smokey Joe Gold
            Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
            Vortex
            Maverick ET-732 White
            Maverick ET-732 Copper
            2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
            Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
            Thermoworks Timestick
            Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
            B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
            B & B Pellets

You want a pull apart test on these dudes.

Comment

• DWCowles
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Smiths Grove, Ky
            • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Sorry, crock pot ribs isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

• boftx
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Las Vegas, NV
              • CharGriller Pro COS
                Oklahoma Joe COS
                Maverick 732 thermometer
                Red Thermapen
                Favorite beer: Scotch

I know I make damn good BBQ cause my 3 dogs have NEVER said no to it. (OTOH, my 13yr old says no to just about everything, except my ribs.)

Recipes, like battle plans, are fine until put into practice. They are guidelines at best. Riff away!

Comment

• Cheef
                Banned Former Member
                • Oct 2015

I've never done ribs in the crock pot but have done them often in the pressure cooker. Completely different animal from the ribs the smoker puts out. I will admit I prefer the smoker BUT the ribs the pressure cooker reminds me of old time cooking. Ribs and kraut-ribs and cabbage were the ribs I knew growing up and I still like them!

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen the recipe in my pressure cooker book and have been trying to convince myself to give it a shot.
              • EdF
                EdF
                Club Member
                • Jul 2016
                • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
                • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
                  Karubeque C-60
                  Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
                  TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
                  Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
                  Thermapen
                  Thermapen Air
                  ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
                  Thermoworks Hi temp IR
                  BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
                  Various other stuff

Variety is a good thing Cheef . My mom used to simmer ribs in tomato sauce she was making for spaghetti. Best red meat sauce ever.

Comment

• CarlP3
                  CarlP3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah Man...my mom simmered pork chops and sometimes a braciole made with flank steak in her sauce. Sauce was great but always thought the meat was kind of dry...BUT ribs...that's got to be great. I'll be trying that!!!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They don't get dry and the sauce gets _rich_.
              • Medusa
                Charter Member
                • Sep 2014
                • For those who are about to Cook - WE SALUTE YOU!

Weber Genesis Silver B - 14 years
                  GG's
                  Weber OTS
                  Vortex
                  SnS
                  Maverick ET-733 dual 6' probes / Thermo-Pop
                  ennoLogic eT650D IR ( -58 to 1202F)
                  Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
                  Kingsford Blue

So VenomM3 , how'd they turn out?

Comment

• VenomM3
                  VenomM3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After 4 hours (no bones sticking out) they reached their temp and they looked ok. I bit into one of them and I can tell they weren't ready at all. So, I put them back and cooked them for the suggested time frame of 7-9 hours. After an additional 3 hours they looked great and tasted great.

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to hear it! Yes, it takes a long time to cook ribs in the slow cooker.
              • Skinsfan1311
                Club Member
                • Apr 2016

7 hours does not seem long enough, especially if you put cook them on low.

When we do crock-pot ribs, usually during the work week, we cut them up into a few sections, toss a few quartered onions in the bottom, a little liquid smoke, rub down with a Memphis style rub, dump some store-bought BBQ sauce, (Sweet Baby Ray's or Stubbs Memphis style), and set it on high. They go on at 7:00am and they come off when we get home, any time between 5:00 and 6:00. That's 10 hrs, on high, and they come out perfect, every single time.

Honestly, it's almost impossible to overcook ribs, or any cheap, tough cut of pork, in a crock-pot.

Comment

• VenomM3
                  VenomM3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for your input, I'll take that into consideration next time I cook them in the crock pot thanks.
              • Skinsfan1311
                Club Member
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
                145 is not sufficient temp at 5 hours to break down the connective material in the ribs and tighten the proteins enough to produce pull back.

If the recipe says 7 hours, I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be done earlier than 8:38 PM.

Agreed. I've never done them in less than 10 hours, set on high.

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
                  Club Member
                  • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                  You want a pull apart test on these dudes.
                  If you've cooked them long enough, they'll be too tender for that.

Comment

• Thom Emery
                    Former Member
                    • Sep 2014
                    • Indio Ca

Get a rope

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                    Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                    See more
                    See less
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                    The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                    The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                    The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                    The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                    We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                    Stylish and Affordable
                    Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                    A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                    Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                    GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                    The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                    This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                    A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                    FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                    Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                    Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order