Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crock Pot Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crock Pot Ribs

I started cooking them at 1:38pm and in the recipe it states that it needs 7 hours, low and slow. It's only been almost 5 hours and the ribs have exceeded 145 degrees and I don't see many bones sticking out alot to indicate they're done. I'm lost and confused, I followed the recipe to the T and I always manage to mess up anything or everything I try to cook.
    Attached Files

This is where I stand as of 5:45 pm and there still in the crock pot as we speak.

Comment

145 is not sufficient temp at 5 hours to break down the connective material in the ribs and tighten the proteins enough to produce pull back.

If the recipe says 7 hours, I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be done earlier than 8:38 PM.

Comment

• VenomM3
        VenomM3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

I wonder if you can do the bend test on them to make sure they're done? I'd say go with the 7 hours or longer. Generally it takes about 5 1/2 hours for a rack of pork loin ribs on the kettle with the SnS running @225 - 230's. I think (but not sure) that 225ish is considered high on a slo-cooker.

Good Luck!

Comment

Here's Meathead's Cabin Fever Slow Cooker Ribs. If this is the recipe you're using, you're looking for the ribs to be fall off the bone (very) tender to know when they are done. I hope yours are already there!

Comment

You want a pull apart test on these dudes.

Comment

Sorry, crock pot ribs isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

Recipes, like battle plans, are fine until put into practice. They are guidelines at best. Riff away!

Comment

I've never done ribs in the crock pot but have done them often in the pressure cooker. Completely different animal from the ribs the smoker puts out. I will admit I prefer the smoker BUT the ribs the pressure cooker reminds me of old time cooking. Ribs and kraut-ribs and cabbage were the ribs I knew growing up and I still like them!

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen the recipe in my pressure cooker book and have been trying to convince myself to give it a shot.

Variety is a good thing Cheef . My mom used to simmer ribs in tomato sauce she was making for spaghetti. Best red meat sauce ever.

Comment

• CarlP3
                  CarlP3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah Man...my mom simmered pork chops and sometimes a braciole made with flank steak in her sauce. Sauce was great but always thought the meat was kind of dry...BUT ribs...that's got to be great. I'll be trying that!!!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They don't get dry and the sauce gets _rich_.

So VenomM3 , how'd they turn out?

Comment

• VenomM3
                  VenomM3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  After 4 hours (no bones sticking out) they reached their temp and they looked ok. I bit into one of them and I can tell they weren't ready at all. So, I put them back and cooked them for the suggested time frame of 7-9 hours. After an additional 3 hours they looked great and tasted great.

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to hear it! Yes, it takes a long time to cook ribs in the slow cooker.

7 hours does not seem long enough, especially if you put cook them on low.

When we do crock-pot ribs, usually during the work week, we cut them up into a few sections, toss a few quartered onions in the bottom, a little liquid smoke, rub down with a Memphis style rub, dump some store-bought BBQ sauce, (Sweet Baby Ray's or Stubbs Memphis style), and set it on high. They go on at 7:00am and they come off when we get home, any time between 5:00 and 6:00. That's 10 hrs, on high, and they come out perfect, every single time.

Honestly, it's almost impossible to overcook ribs, or any cheap, tough cut of pork, in a crock-pot.

Comment

• VenomM3
                  VenomM3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for your input, I'll take that into consideration next time I cook them in the crock pot thanks.

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
                145 is not sufficient temp at 5 hours to break down the connective material in the ribs and tighten the proteins enough to produce pull back.

If the recipe says 7 hours, I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be done earlier than 8:38 PM.

Agreed. I've never done them in less than 10 hours, set on high.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                  You want a pull apart test on these dudes.
                  If you've cooked them long enough, they'll be too tender for that.

Comment

Get a rope

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here