Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Ribs

A couple of days ago, in response to the "What are you cooking this weekend?" thread, it occurred to me that we hadn't had country ribs for a while. So I went to our local butcher (John Mull's Meats) and asked for about 4lbs worth (and I swear I got 5lbs.) I let them dry-brine for 24hrs in the fridge, seasoning about an hour before the cook.

Nothing special about the cook itself at first. Got the COS at 225 and put the meat on.

But the meat was cooking pretty fast since the cuts were relatively thin, and it looked like they were going to start drying out too much. I decided to sauce and wrap at 140 and take them up to about 180. I figured by doing that I would give the fat a chance to render and add moisture back into the meat along with sauce thanks to the wrap.

End result wasn't that bad. You could definitely tell if the meat had been closer to the loin or the shoulder. The shoulder meat was more tender, and the loin meat had the ham flavor/texture that is becoming my trademark for loin. Due to the lack of thickness the smoke ring went completely through the meat in most pieces.

You can see how I made the sauce here: Spur of the moment Pork sauce

It had a distinct but not overpowering apple component, but could have used a bit more heat, I think.

Here are the pics. (Yes, that was what they called about 4 pounds!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	19569 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	19570

That looks like 6 or 7 lbs to me, win win!

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I've always gotten generous cuts from them. You should see what they call a "small" pork butt or brisket. What was even better was they they had lower prices than Smith's did, amazing.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here