Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day Ribs

I fed Lil Monster 3 racks of pork back ribs that I pick up at Sam's club. Two of them had MMD and one only had S&P. The results were outstanding on both and they are far the best ribs that I have ever smoked. I will NEVER wrap another rack of ribs. I smoked them on the Lang using only oak and hickory logs for 5 1/2 hrs and let them rest for 15 mins before slicing them. I want to thank Meathead , Huskee and Jon Solberg for making this cook a success. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003 (2).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	174435 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001 (5).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	174434

Looks great. If these were the best you've done, thats saying something. Lil' Monster has had a lot of ribs go through it. Great Job. What did you do different? Just not wrap them? I always like to hear what other folks are doing.

The inside of that pit looks brand new. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Seems you've adapted that philosophy.

DWCowles

Comment

Those ribs look AWFUL!!! Send them to me and I'll see that they are properly disposed ... ...

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Already took care of that MBMorgan

Spinaker I really think it had a lot to do with the thin ribs I had been getting plus I didn't wrap these. I steam clean Lil Monster before and after every cook by letting the temp get to 300/350 F. then taking the water hose to it. Ben Lang told me a clean pit will produce good BBQ. P.S. i didn't put no sauce on the ribs.

Comment

Nice work. I've always had great success with the three packs of back ribs at Sam's. Too thin of ribs are not good and to thick are not good. Sounds like you found your winners!

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I did Huskee and Thanks

DWCowles - Congrats on a great cook. They do look really good.

Comment

I did the first ribs on my Kamado this weekend that I personally really enjoyed eating. I think I finally have it all put together in rib-land.
        Thanks to Huskee for the rub recipe, it was perfect. I was out of my home-made sauce so I finished them with Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet. Perfect - tender but not mushy (slight tug to pull them off the bone), sweet but no too much, nice smoke flavor without being too strong... all around solid eats. My father-in-law ate a full rack plus all the extra that the kids didn't finish.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          jholmgren, Jim I haven't seen you Post for awhile? I was beginning to Worry it was something I Said or Did?
          Your Ribs Look Grrrrraaaaaaa8888888!!! 👍👍👍👍👍
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

• jholmgren
          jholmgren commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still around Danjohnston949 - just lurking mostly. Work and other life stuff has been keeping me busy but I still manage to cook at least once a week on the KJ.

DWCowles They look a lot like the ones I did Memorial Day. I didn't salt mine because they had been in an 11% salt solution, but I did use Memphis Dust. I sauced mine with my Spicey Apple BBQ sauce. Yours looked sauced. If so, what did you use?

Comment

Your cooks always look so delicious, DWCowles , and this one is no exception. Those ribs should be the centerfold of a BBQ Rib magazine. I can only imagine how good they ate.

Kathryn

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't go that far fzxdoc. I have seen better looking ribs here in the Pit but I'm very happy with this cook and yes they were very good. Thank you for the kind words

Beautiful ribs. I need to try just S&P - never done that; always MMD so far. And I've never wrapped my ribs or sauced. Dang, you're making me crave ribs now!!

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          fuzzydaddy the wife informed me that she no longer wants rub on her ribs...just S&P. I have to admit they was pretty good. I put the S&P on them the night before just like I do the rub.

Delectable!

Comment

DWCowles, Your Ribs Look GRRRRRAAAAAAA888888888!!! 👍👍👍👍👍. I think You are trying to Intiminate this Old Back Yard Cremator???? I have to tell You It's Working!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Looking good!

For me personally, I can do them without a wrap, but I find the drippings too useful for the glaze and sauce to not wrap. (You can improvise a pretty good glaze from the drippings and apple jelly as a starting point, and the sauce from some vinegar and whatever you used for the rub along with a bit of molasses and whatever you think of.

Comment

DW first off great job with the ribs they look like they were really great! How do you keep your grates so clean and shiny? The grates on my 36 truned black when I seasoned the grill with smoke the way Ben Lang tells you to do and I have not been able to get them back to shiny since. I got the stainless grate upgrade when I bought the smoker, I have tried everything from oven cleaner to a wire brush on a drill and a power washer with 3,000 PSI and still can not get the black off of them. Do you soak them in something to get them that shiny and clean? I steam clean my cooker after every cook and then again before I cook just like Ben says to do and also use a power washer to clean the grates. Thanks for any input on this. Also did you use a water pan in the smoker to keep it moist inside the cooker so they wouldn't dry out? I am going to have to try this method without wraping to see how my next rib cook will turn out. Thanks for sharing man!

Comment

vandy I ask Ben about using a water pan and he told me there is no need for it. He was right because I haven't had no dry meat yet except for the thin ribs that I made jerky out of because I overlook them. Ben also told me that a clean pit will produce good Q so before and after each cook I get a hot fire going so I can't get the pit temp to 300/350 F. Then I take a wire brush to it, shut the door to bring the temp back up so I can spray it with the water hose to create hot steam. That's it 😕
                Last edited by DWCowles; June 2, 2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• vandy
                  vandy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I clean my Lang before and after every cook also but I just can not get the black off of the grates to make them look like yours do. It is like the metal is stained and won't come off. The rest of the inside of it is very clean and the grates are clean just black.

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  vandy my grates still has a lot of black on them. They don't get as black where the meat is place.

• wishbone919
                  wishbone919 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I keep hearing this that "you don't need water", just pack it with sand. I have the bigger Weber smoker and it certainly would make life easier. How much knowledge is there on this subject?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here