Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do with this cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with this cut?

I saw these at Costco and had never seen ribs cut like this so I thought I would buy them and figure out what to do with them later:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240415_164254.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1584343

They are basically cross cut pork ribs, kind of similarsimilar Ken beef ribs but maybe a bit thicker.

My first three thoughts were

1. Smoke them like normal ribs. Just run the smoker at 250 and maybe give them a wrap towards the end

2. Direct heat cooking - throw them over some medium hot coals and let them cook for 20 minutes or so

3. Cook them like pork belly burnt ends - give them some smoke, braise with some butter and honey, then glaze.

Which way would you go with these. I think all three could work but would love to hear what you all think.

You know, I bet any of those methods would work well. Me? #3. Smoke, braise, eat. But what do I know?🤷‍♂️
    good luck. Looking forward to the results however you choose to do them.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I’d vote #3. I’d separate them for the braising step.

Comment

They look similar to flanken style ribs but are much meatier. Cook like pork spare ribs or like flanken ribs. The burnt end style is in interesting idea.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        wut dis guy sed.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Pork kalbi. Why not? I'll keep my open next Costco trip.

Looks like a Korean rib approach might work

Comment

I'd go for #1 my first time using that cut as an experiment just to see how they cook, but recognize that #3 would yield really good results and not run the same risk of failure.

Comment

#1 I do these all the time, but you want super low temp as they will go fast and you need the extra time to break down the collagen or they will be dry. Also it’s easy to oversalt. Good luck!!🔥🔥🐿️

Comment

I like the pork kalbi as Bkhuna suggested above. Although they are flanken cut I think there's too much meat to just attempt to grill. Smoking/braising is the way to go.

Comment

They look thicker than typical flanker ribs, so low and slow may be better.

Comment

Malcom Reed recently did some of these. https://howtobbqright.com/2020/08/06...-pork-riblets/

Comment

• JoeSousa
                  JoeSousa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love it. Hadn't seen that video yet.

Here’s an idea from Chud’s BBQ that looks good. He had to cut them to that size. https://youtu.be/O8dczOlAI_4?feature=shared
                Let us know what you do with them.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                  JoeSousa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love most of the stuff Chud does. Gonna borrow some of his ideas for this.

Thanks for all the input. Since there are quite a few of these in the pack I think I will kind of try all 3 methods. Some I will just smoke similar to what I would do with normal pork ribs, some I will smoke and then braise, and I will take one or two and try some direct heat.

Will do my best to get some pics and videos of the whole thing.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please share the results,

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect approach, you'll be able to make meaningful comparisons. Smoking some the usual way can contrast with regular ribs, and will be the benchmark against which to compare the other two methods. Maximum use from this pack o'meat!

• PGH_RAM
                  PGH_RAM commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All in the name of science!

I would microwave it for 45 minutes on high and then slather it with Ketchup.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                  mrteddyprincess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dave, I'm going to need you to back off on what you've been smoking when you drive to Illinois... :-) B

Smoke it, and eat it...

Comment

So these are flanken cut pork ribs. Never saw such a thing, but when I do kalbi (beef) I marinate the meat and cook hot and fast. Not sure that will work as well for pork as it does with beef.

These are not really cut the way the Malcom Reed "riblets" are - those are more like they might have cut baby back ribs into thirds. What you have looks much thinner. So I am not sure the same approach will work, but do think smoking for maybe an hour followed by a braise would work.

In fact, I think doing these a lot like the way Malcom Reed does pork steaks might work well. Smoke/braise/smoke and sauce. Done in maybe 2 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here