Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Ready for My Second Cook on the BJIII: St. Louis Ribs. Target temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Ready for My Second Cook on the BJIII: St. Louis Ribs. Target temperature?

I’ve decided that I attempt St. Louis Pork Ribs for my second cook. What target temperature should I be aiming for before resting them? I’m thinking 203.

Any and all advice and guidance would be most welcome.

Calling, LA Pork Butt and jfmorris!

We don't usually temp ribs, nor rest them. The most common technique, especially for St Louis ribs, is to check the bend test or the toothpick test. Check this article out: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ibs-ready-yet/

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this advice. Trying to keep a temp probe in ribs is problematic due to the proximity of the bones. Ribs will be done in 4 to 6 hours on average, depending on temp and the thickness of the ribs, etc.

I've been smoking since the 90's, and I've done hundreds of slabs of ribs on my offset, kettle and kamado, and never ever have I used a leave in meat thermometer with them. Even an instant read is just useful as a tool to check for tenderness.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

203° will give you fall off the bone ribs. If you want some tug, 195°. But pay attention to the pullback, and the bend, too. If you have good pullback and cracking during the bend, they’ll be done even if your thermometer says 190°.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
      203° will give you fall off the bone ribs. If you want some tug, 195°. But pay attention to the pullback, and the bend, too. If you have good pullback and cracking during the bend, they’ll be done even if your thermometer says 190°.
      Somehow I think fall off the bone would be overdone for us. Maybe 195 then.

Comment

I'm a big fan of 'sampling' an end rib to check for doneness. Benefit of being the cook.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea, thanks

Toothpick check for me.

Comment

I don’t check temp on ribs. Do the toothpick test starting at 2-1/2 - 3 hours, and pull them when it slides in like into butter.

Comment

I smoked the St. Louis Ribs on Monday and they came out absolutely perfect. I don’t think they could have been better in any respect. I dry brined them the night before with fresh black pepper, Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, Lawry’s Seasoning Salt and granulated garlic.

I used a double indirect setup (both the KJ “Slow Roller” and the ceramic deflector plates). I used cherry wood at the beginning and added more of it every hour throughout the cook which lasted exactly 3 hours at 300 degrees the entire time.

I used 1 inch FireBoard probes expecting them to be a waste of time, so I went by time and feel and not by the reading on the probes. However, as I pulled the ribs, one rack was reading 201 and the other was reading 203.

All of the meat was richly smoked and absolutely perfect. It was thoroughly tender, but it wasn’t falling off the bone.

We used Meathead’s South Carolina Barbecue Sauce recipe on one rack, and his Kansas City recipe on the other. Both racks spent an extra 10 minutes cooking on each side (totaling 20 minutes) with the barbecue sauces.

We made homemade ginger baked beans and homemade Wasabi Coleslaw to go with the ribs and washed it all down with Rittenhouse Manhattans with cherry bitters.

Here are some photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4787.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	1564045

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4791.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1564044
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4799.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1564046

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great! You are rocking that new kamado!

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Boom!!💥 💥💥 Nailed it!

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks fabulous!

The end product is what matters. I agree with Huskee I’m a tooth pick or bend test guy. However you produced those beautiful ribs has to be a good way. The end product proves it.

Comment

• Nicolaus
              Nicolaus commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn’t go by the probes. I used the bend test. However, those probes seemed spot on given the results.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              ditto on the end product.

Great meal. Nicely done!

Comment

Love those Kamari’s for low and slow!

Comment

looks like you nailed it 👍

Comment

Good job for sure, I've been thinking of using the Carolina sauce on some ribs, how did you like it?

Comment

• Nicolaus
                    Nicolaus commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was outstanding! However, we ended up cutting the sugar by adding more mustard. Next time we’ll use only a third of the sugar called for in the recipe.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here