Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherry smoked rib roast on the Slow n' Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherry smoked rib roast on the Slow n' Sear

Hi guys and gals,

I have finally gotten time to do a proper bbq. It was too many weeks ago. It was about time to play with the SnS, a really cool product. I do like pork, so what could be better than a proper rib roast? I rubbed it with allspice and some pork rub, and sliced through the fat.

Here's the rib roast, straight from the butcher's:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribroast_1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	124593

I trimmed off the skin, but left the fat, sliced through it, and rubbed it liberally:

Name:	ribroast_3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	124594

Here's the Slow n' Sear in action (sorry for the dark photo, but it's really dark in Sweden now, even in the afternoon):

Name:	slownsear_4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	124595

And, the finished product, turned out pretty darn good:

Name:	ribroast.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	124596

Served with salad (a bit bright photo, the pork wasn't that 'white'):

Name:	ribroast_platter.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	124597

I really like the product, it is super-easy to use. I have used the Smokenator before, but gave it away after a few times. The SnS is waaayy better if you own a kettle.

Sweeeeeeet!!! I hate to think of smoking and not using Cherry.

Comment

Looks GREAT, @henrick !!
      CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT cook! Hope you thoroughly enjoyed it!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks buddy!

Nice one Henrik!! SnS really does make it easy .. great product It cooks a perfect chicken for me every time! That pork looks awesome.

Comment

Henrik, Your BBQ Pork looks fit to die for! Absolutely Beautiful! 👍👍🐷👍👍. Thanks for Sharing, Eat Well and Prosper! Dan

Comment

Henrik your food looks amazing and your photography is stunning. Congratulations!

Comment

Thanks all! This was a great cook, and made me remember why I love bbq so much: that smoked meat flavor is just awesome. There's no way around it. Thanks to all of you for inspiration.

Comment

Did you eat that or just stared at it?! Beautiful

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That looks delicious!
                  Can you compares and contrast the Smokenator and Slow n Sear?. I've been searching the interweb for someone who has used both. Thanks

Comment

Well that would be easy. The Slow n Sear has these advantages:
                    1. Sturdier construction (one piece, thick steel, as opposed to three pieces, thin steel)
                    2. A lot easier to use (fill with briquettes, refill water)
                    3. A lot less maintenance during a grill session (due to super easy access to the briquettes). With the Smokenator I have to add water twice as often. Same with briquettes.
                    4. Burns a lot longer.

Also, last but not least, the Slow and Sear does just that: sear also. Try searing with a Smokenator. It's a no-brainer if you ask me.

Comment

• HC in SC
                      HC in SC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had nothing but issues with the Smokenator and found it was more hassle than it was worth; however the Vortex lived up to my expectations and then some -- granted I have only used is small opening up for super hot indirect and then reverse searing. IMHO the Vortex cannot be beat for steaks and chicken; but the SNS sounds like it performs the way the Smokenator promised it would.

Great write up as usual and great looking food!

That looks absolutely phenomenal! I'm cooking that next.

Comment

Originally posted by 2for66 View Post
                      That looks delicious!
                      Can you compares and contrast the Smokenator and Slow n Sear?. I've been searching the interweb for someone who has used both. Thanks
                      I can. I bought a Smokenator a year or two ago and flat out loved it. Did many cooks with it and for the most part they turned out great. What I didn't like about it was this:

1: The water pan needs to be refilled at minimum every hour. Not really that big of a deal.

2: Adding new coals is cumbersome. You have to throw them in a few at a time and then mix them around with a metal prod that comes with it. If you don't do this there's a very good chance that the new coals won't ignite. Somewhat of a big deal because it takes time and the whole while the grill cover is off.

3: This is my major gripe. The openings for adding wood are way too small. Even if you're using Weber chunks the bulk of them won't fit through the holes. Every cook I'd be out with my hatchet chopping wood chunks down to Smokenator hole size. The resulting chunks are so small that they burn up quickly and you're forced to keep adding more.

The SNS addresses ALL of these issues. With its wide open charcoal/wood chamber it's a simple matter of lifting the hood and tossing in whatever is needed, literally a 10 second procedure. Plus it holds enough water to last at least 4 hours (or more) depending on your cook temperature.

My experience is that they both do the same thing, put out excellent meat. The issue to me is that the Smokenator is very high maintenance, you'll constantly be lifting your grill hood to tinker with it. By contrast the SNS is very low maintenance, once it's going you're good for at least a few hours before having to lift your grill hood. It's clearly a superior product.
                      Last edited by ribeyeguy; December 4, 2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Dennis Feldman
                        Dennis Feldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Guys this is why the BGE is such an excellent cooker with a indirect plate setter for slow cooking, plus you will get an amazing bark! Set it and forget it...

Henrik ..at what temp did you cook this roast and what was the internal meat temp when your cook was complete? Looks fantastic!!! Beautiful plate up!

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Ray, I cooked it at 230 deg F, and took it off when the inner temp was 154 deg F. Don't want it to go much higher than that.

Henrik, How much did it weigh and about how long was the cook?

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh, good question. It was some time ago, but I'm guessing around 3.5 lbs and no more than 3 hours.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here