Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did some pizzas on the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some pizzas on the kettle

I recently bought a FredStone, and I've tried it out both indoors and outdoors. It's a great product, works as advertised. So I fired up my kettle today with a box of charcoal. I also added some oak wood splits for increased temp. The oak wood splits were placed close to the edges of the kettle as I was looking for convection heat (getting the topping done at the same time as the pie). It turned out real nice, I cooked a few pies, each took 4-5 minutes, and were just right in terms of doneness.

For a gratuitous fire shot, see here.

The pizzas were all vegetarian, as I didn't have any random meat lying around, but they turned out great. It was only 23° F (-5° C) outside, so it was nice baking pies in the snow!

Pizza in action

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2132.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1,004.3 KB ID:	621200

Here's one of the pies

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2126.JPG Views:	1 Size:	937.4 KB ID:	621199

Looks great! Looks like you totally nailed the crust.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, it turned out real good. But I made sure to knead the dough so it was thin enough (I like Roman style pizzas).

That pizza looks awesome on that FredStone.....yabba dabba doooooo !!!!!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, my bbq brother!

Very nice. Makes me want to go make some pies.

I've heard (and experienced) in photography that you have to take a bunch of pictures to get one you like and will share. I've had the same thing with making pizza. I have to make a bunch at a time to get one that I'm willing to show off. You post reminds me of that just because you said you made several and shared pics of only one . I'm betting that's not really the case in your instance though.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha! With regards to photography: yes indeed. I take several photos. But the pizzas turned out the same actually. The "in action" shot is the 2nd pizza, while the "done" pizza was #1.

Nice pizzas Henrik ! Good job!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip!

Great lookin' pie Henrik. Have you thought about making a Baking Steel? Since you have the skills, it should b e easy to cut one out of 5 or 6 mm plate - either round or square would work.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't even know what a Baking Steel was, had to google it :-) No, not right now, I'm happy with the FredStone.

Looking Good Henrik! As always!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spin!

Looks great!

Comment

Man, your pics could be in a cookbook....ha ha ha!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

Wow, that pizza looks amazing.

Comment

Looks great! I am going to have to try this. So do you keep top and bottom vents open all the way and just check after a few minutes?

Comment

Thanks! This was a great cook, looove doing pizzas this way on the kettle. So fast! 3-4 minutes per pie. Yes, I leave both vents fully open, and I also ‘burped’ the lid. I noticed that the fire was choking a bit, so I offset the lid so there was a one inch gap in the front. That way the fire could pull all oxygen it needed while the lid still kept the heat inside, just like an oven.

If you’re interested I did a video on how to cook these pizzas on the kettle. It’s in Swedish, but just viewing it should guide you. I build a fire in a ring of sorts, where I have less fire directly underneath, and instead use oak splits around. So much more heat coming from the wood:

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome man! I will definitely check it out. I appreciate the info!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I do that ‘cause the trick is that the topping needs more time/heat than the pie.

Pizza looks great ,crust looks perfect .

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks BRic!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here