Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting real deep down here in Texas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting real deep down here in Texas...

WooHoo. First Pizza down on the new WSGCG! Cooked a many on the ole Performer, but even then, never a deep dish. EVER. This came out pretty dang good. I'll give it a 5.5 outa 10 for my first deep dish try. These boogers are usually always relegated to the oven. It's too dang dang hot in Texas to use indoor heat.

The dough. 10 outa 10 as always.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	364820

About 15 minutes in...

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	364821

Just at 50 minutes... This is where I called it. Too dang long to cook pizza, and I was starving!

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	364822

Crust was a perfect color for me.

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	364823

And the slice was incredible!!

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	364824

The FireBoard was rock solid with what I consider my normal "indoor" oven cook for a good deep dish.

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	364825

I had the Fireboard at grate level, the dome temp on the WSGCG was right at 400 the whole cook. This makes sense and from all my testing, is really pretty accurate. I had one chimney of rip roaring KBB. I should have used more, but in the end, it was a dang good deep dish. The dough was just a "tad" on the dry side as this cook took longer, that make sense. But other than that it came out pretty dang good!
    Last edited by lonnie mac; August 18, 2017, 08:07 PM.

You're just joshing us 'cause with no photos, it didn't happen. I have a deep dish dough in the freezer. My wife is not a deep dish fan, but she will be out of town for a few days next week. I think I'll thaw that dough out and do a deep dish test run on the kettle next week.

Comment

Hopefully you can see the pics! This whole post was plain weird! I got all kind of errors just starting a new post!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Negatory on th' pics, here, Amigo!
        Sorry...
        Edit: Okay, I can see yer pics this AM, looks delicious!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 19, 2017, 06:19 AM.

Negative pics.

Comment

I'm a fan of both Chicago style deep dish as well as Detroit style deep dish. been thinking about trying out one of those pizza cooker top thingamabobs for my grill one day. Hope you get the pics up soon!

Comment

I'm looking straight at the pics on my screen! Dang dang internet!!! If y'all can't see them, I don't know what to do. These pics are mind blowing... MIND BLOOOOOOW---ING!!! I am almost glad they didn't show up. They are really that good. LOL.

Comment

Iphone6 I can see the pics. Looks like a feast

best regards,

Jim

Comment

the have posted now, look GREAT. Have you ever put the cheese on the bottom in slices to keep the crust from getting soggy, then a layer of raw Italian sausage (I put tiny pieces on so close together they almose form one thin patty all the way arcoss the bottom on top of the cheese) and then the sauce? it allows a longer lower slower cook since the sauce keeps the cheese from scorching. Just before it is done I grate some parmesan and dust the top with it. is that one like a neapolitin, or is there meat under all that goodness? Oh and what kind of dough did you make? It looks robust and fantastic...I'm ealous, my dough is always the weak point of my pies.

Comment

I have brother! But alas, we are in Texas. My wife has to have something burnt on top. LOL! Kind of an upside down Chicago deep dish, or as we call it, a regular pizza, deep dish "style". Haha. I have tried it with cheese on the bottom. I like it.

The dough is roughly following this... But using "00" flour, I find I need right at 13oz, and I add the corn oil at the end, not the beginning. I am NOT a pizza expert by no means! But it works for me.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  corn oil...hmmm always used olive oil. This makes me wonder, lard, no better, beef tallow...wait, I got it, BACON GREASE!do you think it would work, or do you think since it thickens a bit at room temperature it would mess it all up. I am feeling pizza real soon...

Just beautiful....Just beautiful

Comment

Where'd you get that flour in Texas?

Comment

• lonnie mac
                    lonnie mac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amazon! Brother, I haven't gone to a store in like 10 years.

Not sure what to be more jealous of; the mixer, the Fireboard; the WSGCG, or the sandal.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Easy for me: not going to a store in 10 years!

Great pizza ... great pics ... nicely done!

Comment

That looks amazing! One of these days i'll have to try one too. Can't believe that was your first one. Looks perfect to me.

Comment

That's a GREAT lookin pizza! Awesome pictures all around.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here