Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Papa Del's Style Deep Dish -- Take 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papa Del's Style Deep Dish -- Take 1

In a previous thread I laid down the law regarding Chicago Style Deep Dish.

This pizza breaks all of those rules, but it doesn't come from Chicago, it comes from Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, home of the University of Illinois. This pizza is thick, bready, dense, and the sauce is cooked. This is the pizza that causes alumni to come back (sure as heck isn't the sports). I was recently asked by the head of my former department if I'd be interested in serving on the alumni board. First words out of my mouth were, "Is Papa Del's involved?" I kid you not.

This pizza is legendary amongst alums, so it is with no small amount of trepidation that, after years of contemplation, I undertake a personal quest to replicate it. I'm starting with the Papa Del's Style recipe at pizzamaking.com. That recipe is a bit "casual" (Volume measurements for dough???, Improvisational cook's delight for sauce???? What the hey?), so I'm going to need to experiment a bit to get this right. This is Take #1.

Let's start with the dough. I start by scalding the milk, then adding butter, sugar and salt.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	327962

Next, I need let it cool to a proper "warm" temp before I add my yeast. Too high a temp will kill the yeast. 100F is what I'm after.

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	327964

I let the yeast proof for 5 minutes and then proceeded to mix the dough. Here's where things get a bit weird in the original recipe. I converted the volume measurements to grams and baker's percent and found the dough hydration to be about 50%. That seems low, but Papa Del's *is* dense, so decided to roll with it. Bottom line is that I needed to add a few tablespoons of water to get the dough to come together. After 4 hours of rising (punching it down after 2), it inflated like a balloon and looks like this:

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	327967
    This dough is very dense and won't spread on it's own, so no wonder the instructions say to roll it out. I did so with a rolling pin and it looks like this. Look at how thick that is. That's like Papa Del's alright.

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	327965
    And into my 12" deep dish pan.

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	327968
    While the dough was rising I cooked my sauce. Going by memory, but I did spend a decade of my life there, so I ate a LOT of Papa Del's. The memory is strong with this one.

Start by sautéing a clove of crushed garlic in some EVOO.

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	327963
    Add a 28 oz. can of Hunt's tomato puree, and I started with 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of dried basil, and 1/2 tsp of dried thyme.

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	327966
    I also added 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper and "salt to taste." I also added another tsp of oregano after tasting. "Salt to taste" was probably around 2 tsp, but I'll measure next time to be sure. After simmering for 30 minutes, it looks like the Papa Del's consistency, and tastes pretty close too.

Name:	IMG_2547.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	327970
    Let's build us a pie. Pop's is deeper than traditional Chicago Style. This is the first layer. About 5.5 oz of mozzarella and 3 oz of provolone, half the sauce, then half of the pepperoni and onion (I used a whole yellow onion sautéed slightly in this pie).

Name:	IMG_2552.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	327969
    Then I put down another layer of cheese, pepperoni and onion, then top with the remaining sauce so that sauce covers everything.

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	327971
    Onto the KK 23 baking stone at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. Halfway through:

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	327973
    I added about 1 oz of freshly grated parmesan in the last 5 minutes.

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	327975
    Ain't she a beauty?

Name:	IMG_2562.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	327972
    Plate shot. This is how you know it's Papa Del's -- you absolutely cannot get a clean slice.

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	327974

My assessment:
    Dough -- The thickness is correct for Papa Del's, but need to increase the hydration a bit. Was a tad too dense, even for Papa Del's
    Sauce -- By cracky, I think I just about nailed it! Only thing I'll do different next time is double the garlic and thyme. Oregano is spot on.
    Cheese -- Oh heck yeah.

Not quite there yet, but dang this was close.

Yet another great lookin' recipe. And I haven't gotten around to the DD Chicago recipe yet...

Comment

Thanks for the step by step write up Papa Pequod! That REALLY looks good!

Comment

Wow! One slice of that looks like a meal!

Comment

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          That is exactly right. One medium slice is all any normal human can eat.

Beautiful!

Comment

Great write up! Let us know how take two goes.

Comment

That looks like fun! I haven't grilled a pizza in quite a long time. Nice reminder that I need to do another!

Comment

Bleed orange and blue! When I went back to C-U for a conference I had to go to Papa Del's! Even though the wifey isn't a pizza fan, I think I am obligated to make this, please let me know your final recipe.

I'm curious, why are you using a pizza stone if you already have it in a deep dish pan? Does it give any extra benefit? Also, any tips on how to do a deep dish on a kettle or other type of grill, or should I just settle for the oven if I don't have a kamado?

Hey Pequod, I-L-L...

Comment

• Pequod
                Pequod commented
                Editing a comment
                Will do on posting the final recipe. Wife is also an Illini and says I nailed the sauce, fillings and cheese. Just some work to do on the crust. I agree, but think the sauce needs one more tweak as well.

PBCDad - I-N-I! Hey! What years were you there? I was '82-'91.

Reason for the stone is two things. 1) Need something to deflect the direct radiant heat from below, and 2) Nice even heat release even through the pan. The first is a must. The second is a nice to have. Same principles hold on other grills. You need a heat deflector (lest you burn the bottom), and probably an air gap between the deflector and the cooking surface as well because the deflector will get stinkin' hot. I get away with stone only on my KK because the firebox is lower than in other grills and the stone is much thicker than most.

Comment

• PBCDad
                PBCDad commented
                Editing a comment
                Great info! I think I may try it in the oven first then to limit my variables. I was there for grad school fairly recently, 2009-2010.

Thanks Pequod - I made your Chicago style and think it's great. I'm going to give this a try as well, it sounds a recipe the wife would love. She likes the thicker, bready, crust pizza.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here