Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Chicago Deep Dish...in Excruciating Detail

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up on the north side,there was a place called Edwardos. They had an awesome stuffed spinach souffle
    And whats wrong with Santo,Kessinger,Becker,and Banks etc.? go Cubs

Comment

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Billy Williams, Randy Hundley, and Ken Hubbs were not etcs. That's Glenn Beckert, not Becker. Fergie Jenkins, Ken Holtzmann, Bill Hands. With all those good players and Leo Durocher coaching them, I could never understand why they always sucked.

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      I know Edwardo's. My in-laws live in DesPlaines and we get Edwardo's stuffed spinach whenever we visit. Great stuff(ed)!

You just had to do this

When I was little (back in the 50s) my dad would bring home Uno's Pizzas (the partially cooked ones) on nights he worked late. He and Mom would wake me up (10PM or later) with the smell of those pizzas. We usually went to Pizzeria Due when we went downtown. Because my parents knew them, I got to know Ike (Sewell), Ric (Riccardo), Rudy (Malnati) and Alice May Redmond. Met Lou when he started to manage Due.

He opened the first Lou Malnati's in Lincolnwood somewhere around 1971. Went there quite frequently. Still visited Due. Also, Gino's East with Alice May. Even though I knew all of those people, I never found out who actually came up with the recipe. Suspicion is that it was Rudy and Alice.

In 1975 I moved to Phoenix. Any trip to Chicago was an excuse for a great pizza from Due, Malnati's, or Gino's.

When they franchised Uno's, I had high hopes. We tried one in San Francisco, and it was pretty good, but not quite what I remembered. They came to Phoenix (and Tempe) in 1990. We'd go occasionally, but it was always a mild disappointment.

Last year, they opened a Lou Malnati's in North Central Phoenix, just before I had my burst aneurysm. Has been on my mind to go and get a partially cooked or frozen pizza and try it at home. Now, I find out they opened a Gino's East in Phoenix yesterday. A few years ago, a San Fratello's opened (carry out only) less than a mile from my house. They came from Chicago as well, but grew up after I left. Pizza is decent. We'll have to see how it compares to the two originals.

I have to do this just for the memories.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome story. That's incredible that you got to know the creators of Chicago Deep Dish!

Although my parents were invited, we missed opening night at Lou Malnati's. Would have been memorable. A car crashed through the wall into the main dining room. Too much to drink?

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Too much in a hurry to try "the product"!

Pequod Just a couple of questions: How big of a can of crushed tomatoes? How much pepperoni is on the pie in the picture?
    Thanks!

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a 28 oz can of 6-in-1 brand all purpose ground tomatoes. I use just shy of all of that. I've seen others prefer 7/11 ground tomatoes. I've tried these and they are excellent. Another recommended brand is Muir Glen organic crushed tomatoes. I've also used Sclafani, and they are very good too.

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh...and on the pepperoni, only what you see on top. Nothing under the sauce. Don't recall the exact amount, but it was less than half an 8 oz. package of Margherita brand sliced pepperoni.

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Stopping tonight to pick up the stuff I don't have. Gonna make a pie Friday night!

Thanks so much for posting! Lots of great info. Below is my attempt a few years ago (posted in a thread of mine a while back). I'm from the NY area, but I still appreciate this style of pizza.

T Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	310519

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking pie!

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Pequod , thanks. The recipe I used was very similar to your's. I stole it off of pizzamaking.com

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Have found much inspiration there myself. The dough recipe is derived from one I found there.

My preference was always the "Chicago Classic", which had a layer that was a sold piece of Italian Sausage, rather than the Pepperoni.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta agree with you there. My problem is I don't have a supplier of that distinctive Chicago style of sweet Italian sausage here in Virginia, and I've not been able to replicate it on my own. If anyone one has a recipe, would love to see it.

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pequod I wonder if Vienna Sausage might be a substitute. The Phoenix area has had Vienna Beef outlets as long as I've lived here, but you may or may not in Virginia. Vienna Sausage is available through Amazon.

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip. Will look for that.

Hi Pequod

Talked to my client in the Foodservice industry, who also grew up on the north side of Chicago.

He said that he thinks the sausage we're talking about came from a company called Rose Packing.

Their offices are currently in Barrington, IL, but they started business in 1924 down on Halsted Street.

Here's a link

You could try calling them and see if they have any distributors out your way, or if they can come up with a way to ship you some product.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks!

Another thought from him.

If it wasn't Rose, a company that is both in the Foodservice Industry and consumer business. From the Old Italian Neighborhood (Randolph Street)

From Lucca, Italy to Chicago, Illinois, the Fontanini family has been creating authentic Italian meats, toppings & specialty sausages for generations.

Jim

Comment

Made my pie this weekend. Made a few minor mistakes I'll correct next time but it turned out great. Followed your recipe as close as possible. Love the crust. I used my big cast iron pan and it worked great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	313314

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks folks - I was really happy with the results for a first try!

• dmorgan73
        dmorgan73 commented
        Editing a comment
        What brand of tomatoes did you use?

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        It was the only non-big name (Hunts, etc.) brand I could find. Some Italian name. Unfortunately I tossed the can and didn't write down the name. Sorry!

Great post! Thanks for sharing the recipes and details. I do have to say though, I've never had a bad pizza I don't think they exist.

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        You obviously haven't tried pizza out here in the Washington, DC area...

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Seconded on the DC pizza being beat. I didn't understand that at all.

• djotaku
        djotaku commented
        Editing a comment
        I think 2 Amys is good, if overpriced

Have you ever tried this with the cheese up the side of the pan so you get the nice black cheesy bits?

Comment

I am definitely giving this a run soon. FYI, I have used a recipe from Americas Test Kitchen for Chicago Style Deep dish that used corn meal. My girlfriend described the crust as "biscuity". So I consider that a win! But I am a confirmed bread geek (meaning anything yeasty) and want to try your dough recipe. thanks for posting!

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen that recipe. I'm sure it's great in its own way, but the differences (corn meal and cooked sauce if I remember) coupled with the word "Chicago" put me off. It looks a bit like a Papa Del's pizza from Champaing-Urbana, which is on my bucket list of things to figure out.

I've always loved going to Renaldi's Pizza @ Diversy and Broadway. Moved away from Chicago 23 years ago, here's how they make Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. http://www.realdeepdish.com/deepdishholygrail/

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great recipe. Can't go wrong with that. I used to make a dough very similar, but migrated to the one I posted here about a year ago. I like it just a tad better, but both are legit in my book.

I will definitely have to give this a try. Had deep dish once in O'Hare Airport and was not impressed. Being from Western Pennsylvania I grew up on Sicilian style sheet pizza and make that all the time.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Airport everything is less than it should be in the actual city and suburbs.

Dude, your crust looks awesome. I'll definitely give it a go. But I have one sage tip for you--your awesome teak cutting board has got to go! Teak grows in a swamp. It has particulates of sand in it. It will dull your knives faster than it dulls my carbide tipped woodworking tools.

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt on wood working tools. However, knife forums vary on this point. One says that this particular brand is lower in silica and not an issue. Same with Cooks Illustrated. My real world experience confirms...and I know how to sharpen regardless.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here