Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good chili recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good chili recipes?

anyone have and delicious chili recipes?

Meathead's Texas Chili is pretty good.

Comment

I just made some with ecowper recipe and it is Very Good! I will look for the post.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I second that!

Try Meathead's recipe. I just made it yesterday. It's REALLY good.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas Chili con Carne.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	392987

Comment

Here’s the classic bowl of red:

Cubed beef. Onions, poblanos. Garlic. Cumin, Mexican oregano, dried ancho chile powder, salt, pepper. Water or beer, masa to thicken at the end.

No proportions, start with as much beef as you want to feed people, then add the other stuff until it looks and tastes right. Three pounds of beef will take two or three decent sized onions, that should get you started. Don’t forget the first rule of garlic, which is to use at least twice as much as you think you should, then a little more just to be sure (in other words, a clove or two don’t cut it here).
        Last edited by Mosca; October 9, 2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I've made MH Texas red, Detroit Coney and all purpose hot dog. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Remember the days back before we had the internet. If we wanted a recipe we went to a cookbook. The one I went to was called "Chili Madness" and it quickly became my favourite for a lot of reasons. Lots of chili recipes, some very easy, some more complicated. All unique in their own way. I purchased the book in 1980.

Your query made me think about the book. I searched Amazon to see if it was still available and lo and behold there is a 2nd edition (2008) I didn't know about. 130 "new" recipes. I'm sure you will find something that may interest you. I'm going to order it as soon as I'm finished posting this reply.

Comment

Thanks for the link, rodkeary. I've ordered that book. I'm always on the lookout for good chili recipes.

In the interest that one good chili cookbook deserves another, back in the day, I enjoyed the Chili Nation cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0767902637...7666346&sr=1-1

I've never been a fan of "white chili" because, honestly, the name is so off-putting. I know people love it, including my kids. But give me a chili that at least has some beef and Ro-Tel in it and I'm good to go.

Kathryn

Comment

• rodkeary
              rodkeary commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tip. Looks like another "chili" cookbook will be on it's way to my house.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Ro-Tel was a secret weapon of my grandma when I was a kid. Then with leftovers of salsa, toms and peppers n beans and the like she would make her own Rotel for the next meal(s). Kind of like a curry I guess.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Mexican Mulligan Stew!
              All cultures have them. Curry, gumbo, etc., usw, ad infinitum, when ya' start lookin'!
              Fervently wish I coulda ever tasted yer grandma's chili, but bettin' I can taste a lot of it in yers, Brother!
              Gotta go scope out some chili book links on Amazon, now! Ta ta!

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            I've made MH Texas red, Detroit Coney and all purpose hot dog. Awesome stuff.
            Oh, gosh, HouseHomey. I've always told my husband that if I were ever on death row ( ) , my last meal would be a foot-long chili dog, eaten veeeery sloooowly .

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yesssss! That Detroit Coney chili is AMAZING! We do serious damage to the 4packs of Hebrew Nats here. Jeeze that's only 28 hot dogs.

Here's a recipe from a chili cookoff competitor that took 3rd at the World's Chili Cookoff championship a few years back. He says that chili recipes are always evolving and what worked one year is old news. He does not use this one anymore.... hence giving it to me. A bit of work, but only takes 3 hours to make.

29 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes 1 ½ lb Tri-Tip, Diced
            29 oz. Can Kidney Beans (Rinsed) ½ lb mild Sausage
            29 oz. Can Black Beans (Rinsed) ½ lb. Chorizo
            16 oz. Can Pinto Beans (Rinsed) 8 oz. Beef Broth
            8 oz. Can Tomato Sauce 8 oz. Chicken Broth
            2-4 Jalpenos, Diced Fine ½ tsp. Beef Bouillon
            2 Serranos, Diced Fine ½ tsp. Chicken Bouillon
            2 Yellow Jalepenos, Diced Fine 5 tsp. Gebhardt Chili Powder
            1 Anaheim Pepper, Diced 6 tsp. CA Mild Chili Powder
            1 Pablano Pepper, Diced 4 tsp. NM Mild Chili Powder
            1 Brown Onion, Diced 5 tsp. Cumin
            6-8 lg Cloves Garlic, Diced Fine 2 tsp. Onion Powder
            1/16 Cup Cilantro Stems, Diced Fine 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
            ½ tsp. Accent 3 tsp. Salt (Sea Salt or Equiv.)

1st Dump:
            Tomatoes, Black Beans, Tomato Sauce, Beef/Chicken Broth, Beef/Chicken Bouillon, Onion, Garlic, 2 tsp. Gebhardt, 2 tsp. CA Chili Powder, 1 tsp. Salt, 1 tsp. Onion Powder, ½ tsp. Garlic Powder, and 2 tsp. Cumin. Low simmer for 30 mins - covered.
            2nd Dump: Sauté Tri-Tip until meat just turns grey, strain. Sauté Sausage (do not brown). Cook Chorizo. Add all three to pot at the 30 min mark and simmer - covered.
            3rd Dump: At 1 ½ hour mark, add ½ of all remaining Vegetables, Red Beans, 2 tsp. Gebhardt, 2 tsp. CA Chili Powder, 2 tsp. NM Chili Powder, ½ tsp. Accent, 1 tsp. Onion Powder, ½ tsp. Garlic Powder, and 2 tsp. Cumin. Low Simmer - covered.
            4th Dump: at 2 ½ hour mark, add Pinto Beans, remaining Vegetables, Cilantro Stems, 1 tsp. Gebhardt, 2 tsp CA Chili Powder, 2 tsp. NM Chili Powder, 1 tsp. Salt, and 1 tsp. Cumin. Simmer for 30 minutes or more - covered.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              No beer? Sounds pretty good. I might have to give this one a go. Thanks for sharing!

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Mise en place

they all sound great cant wait to try some hopefully soon,!!
            thanks all

Comment

This is the one you mean Pirate Scott?

Dug around in the freezer the other day. I found about 2.5 lbs of flat that I saved after cutting up a brisket for pastrami. And I found about 3 lbs of chuck

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                Pirate Scott commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, that’s the one. Winner winner Chili Dinner

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                The best thing about it is that you get to cook bacon, smoke meat, and make chili. It's a 3fer!

I posted this one the other day somewhere on here. I use Chuck Eye steak. This is a screenshot of my competition chili. There are no beans in competition chili.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 5.54.00 PM.png
Views:	267
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	393425

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                hmmmm, maybe I'm gonna have to try this and see.

Th' Floor recognizes th' Distinguished Gentleman from Texas!!!!
              Thanks fer sharin' with us, Brotha!!!!

Comment

Me? Yer askin' me?
                I don't have any Good Chili Recipes, but I'll dang sure give ya' some o' mine...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here