Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Your Favorite Hot Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m fond of Valentina’s. Sort of on the mild heat level of Cholula but with a hit of cumin.

Comment

Marie Sharp's

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Just went to Amazon thru your link Troy. They got excellent reviews! 95% 4 or 5 stars, with 89% of them 5 stars. I just might have to order me that sample pack. Need to get out of my comfort zone with Tabasco.
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 2, 2021, 08:39 AM.

I'm a fan of Melinda's. Even their hottest sauces taste great.

Comment

I don't get much into fancy hot sauce. I prefer the standards. Tabasco, tapatio, and Sriracha.

Comment

Cholula and Tabasco Jalapeno are my go to. Hot for hot's sake is not worth it to me. Give me some flavor please.
          I need to look into some of the others mentioned.

Comment

I like spicy food, but still haven't found some hot sauces that I truly like. Like we've all discovered, many widely available commercial sauces taste little more than salt, vinegar, and some heat.

I like Cholula, but I go through it in waves. I'll use it for months, then avoid it for months. Not sure why.

I'll keep a bottle of Franks that I mix with one part butter for chicken. Kinda a tradition thing, I think.

My goto commercial sauces are the original Tabasco (which I seem to exclusively use on eggs), Tapatio (ridiculously cheap and I use most often on tacos/fajitas), and Crystal for anything Louisiana style, which I latched onto simply because Steven Raichlen likes it. If a recipe calls for hot sauce, I generally reach for Crystal's.

Perhaps the most flavorful of the commercial sauces, other than Cholula, that I like is El Yucateco's Habenero sauce. It's decently hot (and nicely viscous), but has some really good flavor to it.

One sauce I like that I wish it made more sense for me to buy more of is Malcom Reed's Killer Hogs Hot Sauce. It's really good, very similar to a Louisiana-style sauce with a hint of extra garlic. And that's the problem, at $6 for 8 oz, it is expensive and it is too similar to Crystal's for me to buy it regularly. I will pick up a bottle or two if there is a recipe of Malcom's in which his particular sauce is important to the flavor profile, but this is rare.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree about Killer Hog's hot sauce. It's fabulous, but no way am I paying $6 for a tiny bottle that is gone in a week.

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              Or sometimes gone in a single recipe!

LOVE this topic? Ok, You like ghost pepper hot sauce but not overly hot? Do you like more red or green sauces? How hot? I love Tabasco but understand it’s not for everyone, The Tabasco Scorpion Sauce is different, has tropical flavors and a decent burn. Sauces I like are Dirty Dick’s Original (A little fruity but great flavor and nice burn), Ring of Fire (chunky-er great taste), Pex Peppers Cherry Bomb Reaper (nice sweet Cherry then HOT HOT MOFO HOT)), Gindos, Lucky Dog, Cutino (local but online), Bravado Spice &Torchbearer make interesting sauces. I’d be glad to help more if you tell me more regarding what you like, how hot and what you like to use it on. You can checkout this site. They do The Hot Ones show on YouTube. https://heatonist.com Also, some great suggestions so far.

Comment

• ALapeno
              ALapeno commented
              Editing a comment
              holehogg I have made my own. I can’t find the red jalapeño mash I used. I am trying a fermented one now. It’s about a week away. Happy New Year!

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I like heat but not painful levels of heat that wipe out the flavors. I have used the sauce on pretty much everything (chicken sandwich, eggs, potatoes, pastrami, and would gladly try it on hot dogs etc. and the list goes on and on). Reading through the thread it is definitely the vinegar base from Tabasco and Franks that I do not like. And I typically prefer green sauce over red.

I did order a few of Melinda’s sauces as they mentioned that vegetable base that sounded ideal.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              See screenshot below.

Okay I just ordered some El Yucateco Salsa Jalepena sauce, Cholula Hot Sauce Green Pepper sauce, Infinity Sauces Hatch-Quatch sauce, and Volcanic Peppers Aleppo Pepper sauce.

What is wrong with you people, you keep making me do this! Please stop!

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I am glad I contributed to your bank account dipping in size.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              STEbbq My wife wants to talk to you.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife wants to talk to your wife. This sounds a bit suspicious to me. How can we mitigate the damage?

We get plenty homemade hot sauces around there parts and most of them are heat and that's about it. I use Tabasco and smoked chipotle is my favourite. I always have a bottle of sriracha on hand.

Comment

Torchy's is a specialty taco restaurant in Texas and Colorado (and maybe elsewhere -- haven't looked). They sell their Diablo Sauce, a habanero based sauce. Great flavor. Torchy's is on line, and I've ordered a bottle from them when I lived too far away. Try about a teaspoon in your eggs before you whip them for an omelet. Great!

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes sir! Love Torchy’s Tacos. Several here in Houston.

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                How have I never had this? Need to seek it out!

Thanks for all of the recs. I ordered some Melinda sauces as they have a vegetable base versus the vinegar base that I do not like. Some awesome recommendations! Please keep them coming.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                STEbbq 1) Melinda’s sauces are all about the flavor. I’m pretty used to the Ghost and Scorpion now, but I can dash some on my finger and taste it and not be running for the milk and bread. They aren’t trying to be the Scoville champions. There are no Dave’s Insanity competitors.

It seems to me that as the peppers gets hotter, they use less of them. So the sauce base stays the same, the heat stays about the same, and the overall flavor reflects the pepper. I use them all interchangeably.
                Last edited by Mosca; January 2, 2021, 09:05 PM.

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Crap Mosca , I had to make a new order. Sigh.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                2) Scotch Bonnet and Red Savina are about the same, I don’t know if they have Red Savina any more but it was good. Ghost is about 20% hotter then Scotch Bonnet. Enough that you’ll notice it. But the thing that you’ll notice is, you can taste the difference in the flavors of the peppers. Habañeros are rich, Scotch Bonnets are bright. I’ll order these over the ‘net before I’ll buy anything else. I buy others, use them once, and they drift to the back of the shelves. Melinda’s stays in front.

Commenting on a few sauces...Like I mentioned earlier, Tapatio is really good. Valentinas is also good for a very mild heat profile. The Sriracha and Cholula are...just not memorable.

Looking forward to reporting back on the Melindas though! 25% off coupon was a bonus!
              Last edited by STEbbq; January 2, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Michael_in_TX Here ya go. Looks like closest location to you. Great Tacos and cool atmosphere . Serve beer also.
                At Torchy’s, we make Damn Good food that breaks the mold. Order online or through the Torchy's App for delivery or skip the line when pick-up today. Now that's Damn Good!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Panhead John; January 2, 2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. (Although, for a moment I thought you were about to send me intercontinental judging by the map in the background. I love tacos, but do I love them that much? Actually, yes....yes I do. )

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How far are you from the one in Webster? Aren’t you in the Clear Lake area?

Huy Fong's Sriracha and Frank's.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, Frank Sriracha.

I haven’t really met a hot sauce I hated. I like that they are different. Sriracha and Tabasco are staples, but I will buy small batch unique ones when I come across them. I like trying local makers at farmers markets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here