Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Your Favorite Hot Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zombie Cajun's Lagniappe is currently my favorite hot sauce

I'm also a fan of using hot sauce as a binder on pork shoulders.

Comment

For me it really depends on what the dish is. Some sauces work with multiple types of food. One of my favorites that hasn’t been mentioned is Grace scotch bonnet sauce. Great on Caribbean dishes and stews. Tapatio is one of my favorites for Mexican, eggs, and potatoes. Old Bay hot sauce is pretty mild but is great on wings and fries. Dank sauce spicy nopal cactus version is one of my favorites for eggs, potatoes, and Mexican food. Tabasco and Crystal both have plenty of uses as well. Lately I’ve been really enjoying the flavors from some varieties of Flat Iron crushed red pepper flakes that I’ve been using in place of hot sauce in many dishes. I used their hatch valley green pepper flakes in my chicken and bean stew thing for dinner tonight. I really love their dark and smoky pepper flakes on pizza.

Comment

Frank’s is the only hot sauce we use on a regular basis. Melt in a bit of butter and it’s awesome on wings. We also make Buffalo Waffle Fries with the Frank’s and butter mixture. I like to shake some on my Mac n cheese, reheated pizza, tuna noodles and scrambled eggs. I’ll mix it in with Ketchup to use on hot dogs or hamburgers. We make Frank’s Buffalo Chicken Dip every couple of months. And I make a chicken "stir fry" with broccoli, green peppers, celery and green onion with a sauce of bacon, Frank’s, butter and brown sugar.

Comment

I always have Chalula stocked as a go to for eggs or really anything that needs a bit of a mild kick. I have a hot sauce called "The Siren" from the Grand Traverse a sauce company that is pretty tasty. Yucateco Chile sauces are also good (often seen in Midwestern Mexican restaurants).

I also LOVE Hank’s hot sauce (specifically Cilanktro and Camouflage) the flavors are fantastic.

Comment

I have a bottle of Cholula and Franks in the fridge. There may be a tabasco in there as well, but For what I want in a hot sauce, Cholula provides that nice flavor and a bit of heat. Franks is pretty good as well.

I also have a Black Truffle Hot Sauce in the fridge, but a little goes a long way and I don’t use it often.

That said, I really like what Chic-Fil-a provides for a hot sauce. They pack some flavor in those little containers

Comment

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Chick-fil-a uses Texas Pete hot sauce which should be easily available in grocery stores. and in case you are interested, Popeyes uses Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Now I don’t use these hot sauces on a regular basis but I’ve tried all of the following hot sauces over the past 3 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	093DC724-C817-44AF-9094-7020781B74B1.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	967170

Name:	868D0167-16D7-4611-BB7B-2BBD6D46C394.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	967172

Name:	918DA824-B00E-4D49-9194-E0E5AF00C9D2.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	967171

Me and my friends are idiots together once a year and do the Hot Ones hot wing challenge. The sauces picture range from a couple hundred scoville units on the left to 1,000,000+ scoville units on the right for The Last Dab. Once we get to sauce 7 or 8 it starts to get stupid.

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              From 2020 Cheeba Gold was a great tasting sauce and The Headless Horseradish brought a bunch of heat but I still enjoyed it.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! I’ve never seen such a collection before. Impressive! If anyone’s opinion matters it should be yours. Curious, where does McIlhenny’s Tobasco stand in your equation?

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tabasco I think is about 4,000 scoville units. It would probably have been sauce 3 for one of the years.

I like Louisiana, Crystal and Red Rooster for wings, fried chicken. I like the el yucatero habanero in moderation. Straying..... I like the mcIlehney (Tabasco) Bloody Mary mix. I love gochuchang.

Comment

We like Crystal hot sauce, as the ad states "we put that sh*t on everything". (I know, different brand, but it matches what we do). I also love Chalula hot sauce. Both of these bring the right amount of heat while enhancing flavor, IMO.

Comment

Secret aardvark is my current go to, volcanic peppers Aleppo is probably second right now.

Comment

I grew up using Tabasco on everything I ate. I only use the original in recipes these days, but like the chipotle version on food as a condiment. Franks is something I buy in gallon jugs, as I use it in my wing sauces, and always have it in hand. Recently I picked up Tabasco brand Siracha and it’s my favorite siracha ever.

Comment

Great post! I haven’t seen this one before, and a lot of good suggestions for me to try! Well done.

Comment

I tend to really enjoy the Tabasco sauces ... with green and chipotle typically nudging original out of first place.

Comment

I also do not like Tabasco sauces. My gotos are Sriracha, Gochujang, Chili Garlic, Franks, and Cholula. Can't take the heat anymore like I could in my younger days in Korea. I have a bottle of Louisiana Hot sauce that has been in the cabinet for about 15 years. I like Louisiana more than Tabasco. To me Tabasco is just hot vinegar. But I see a couple here that I would like to try.

Comment

This is a staple at my place, love the smokiness

Name:	Chipotle.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	967229

Comment

I have about 2 dozen open hot sauces at any given time and a few more waiting their turn. A few years back, I went through the Chili Head phase until I realized that masking the flavor of food by trying to make it as hot as possible just ruined the food. So it was out with heat for the sake of heat, and in with flavor.

Can't say I have a single favorite, but some of the ones I use most frequently are Ring of Fire, El Yucateco,Valentina, Bufalo, Zulu Zulu,Sriracha (Huy Fong variety) and most of the ones made by Matouk's. And yes, there is a place for vinegar based sauces like Frank's or Crystal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here