Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call this type of sandwich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would call it a Sub, but I've heard and used all of those except Spuckie???

Comment

I'm going with sub.
      While the pic looks like a hero to me a hero was always piled with so many cold cuts you couldn't see over it.
      The afore mentioned Dagwood had turkey legs and whole hams, whole tomato's and heads of lettuce and who knows what else heaped on it.
      Said no to a hoagie because of the bread, its a sub bun around these parts.

Comment

I can't decided. I grew up in NYC, where that's a hero or a sub. I lived in CT, where it's a Grinder, I live in Chicago where it's an Italian... the only one I'd never seen was Spuckie. Also, there's no such thing as a Hero Sandwich. It's a Hero.

Comment

• Alan Brice
          Alan Brice commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you mean "Gyro "?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Hero was derived from Gyro. But no one calls it a Hero sandwich.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought 'hero' had another origin, not from gyro. Something about actually providing sandwiches to guys who were heroes - returning soldiers or firemen or something. Seems like I saw that on some show, maybe from Alton Brown - but then, alot of these things have a million different variations of their origin, so who really knows?

I would call it a sub. I realize it is called numerous things depending on the region you are from.

Comment

It’s a Sub here, but I’ve def heard hoagie and grinder over the years. Not from locals, of course. That would be weird.

Comment

To confuse matters, my favorite local SUB shop which has been around about 50 years is called "Zero's Subs" One of the subs on their menu is called the...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 12.39.04 PM.png
Views:	101
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1230023

and on the "Grinder" you can get hot pepper relish which is often called...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 2.04.26 PM.png
Views:	78
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1230024

So my favorite local sub is called the Grinder and it will have hoagie spread (and even tho I always ask for LOTS of hoagie spread I always have a jar at home to add another tablespoon or two).

Love me a Zero's subgrinderhoagie (toasted of course!).

Comment

Except for the bread it would qualify for a New Orleans Po’Boy. The bread is what what’s makes the Po’Boy. Almost anything in between the bread qualifies - even French fries with gravy. Otherwise I would call it a Sub.

Comment

Your list, none are sandwiches. I've never heard of a spuckie. All the others yes. And the Italian is, Italian "anything you have listed. So, Italian sub, grinder ECT..... Same for meatball, sausage or whatever is on the menu. And yes it's a regional thing.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had to look up Spukie and thought for sure you'd be one of the few to know it. It seems isolated to Boston specifically but some other parts of Mass as well, but maybe it's didn't make it's way past the eastern part of the state.

• RichieB
                  RichieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope, lived in the state since 73'. Leominster N. Worcester County, Marlboro W. Middlesex County, Upton, S. Worcester County. Now E. Hampshire County. Worked in Boston for years. Dined in the North End, South Boston, Boston proper and many other areas in and around Bean Town. From Gloucester to Provincetown and everyplace in between. Never saw it on a menu or anyone said hey, who wants to get a spuckie?

When I lived in Philly that was an Italian Hoagie. I grew up in western PA and that was a sub. There is an amazing chain that grew out of Philly called Primo Hoagies. If you get a chance to visit one, try a sharp Italian with oil and vinegar, it will change your life.

Comment

I call it "good work woman" in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                    Except for the bread it would qualify for a New Orleans Po’Boy. The bread is what what’s makes the Po’Boy.
                    Wow, how ever did I forgot Po'Boy!

For me Po'Boy conjurs up images of cajun shrimp, tartar sauce, some lettuce, and white italian bread sub. Mmmm.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here