Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call this type of sandwich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you call this type of sandwich?

Malcom Reed's most recent video over on HowtoBBQRight is a grilled pork tenderloin sandwich, which he calls a grinder sandwich.

I had never heard this term! So I googled it and apparently it is regional name for what I all my life have called a sub sandwich. Taking a look at Wikipedia, it looks like there are several regional names for the same thing.

So, let's find out what you call this thing! (Poll answers sourced from Wikipedia)

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018_sub-sandwich_20813_600x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	1229255
    Sub or Submarine Sandwich
    86.75%
    Grinder Sandwich
    0%
    Hoagie Sandwich
    6.02%
    Hero Sandwich
    6.02%
    Italian Sandwich
    1.20%
    Spuckie Sandwich
    0%

If someone said hoagie I would understand 100%, but to me it's a sub. Also to me a "grinder" is an oven-baked sub, hot and melty, such as pizza style or similar.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      We eat the "Lenny’s Deli Grinder" at home often. Salami, cheddar and jack cheese, pepperonis (lots) lettuce, tomatoes, mustard a little mayo. The bun is pre-toasted then the salami goes on one side of the roll, cheese on the other. Broiled crisp. All other ingredients added cold. That is a grinder, to me.

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^ This is how we roll in Chicago. We’d call that an "Italian Sub", and the exact same sandwich cooked in the oven would be a "Hot Oven Grinder" or "Italian Grinder".

I said sub because that’s what it’s called in Northern VA but in NJ where I grew up it was a hero.

Comment

I've also heard it called a torpedo.

Comment

I’m conflicted

Growing up in northern NJ, that would be a sub or a hero
        Now that I live in Westchester county, NY, that is a wedge
        If I go a few minutes north and head into CT, that is a grinder

So that type of sandwich has three different names within about 25 miles.

Comment

I voted sub because thats generally what i call them but living in the northeast and loving wawa, i occasionally call them hoagies since thats what they are called at wawa.

Comment

I’be heard of all but the Italian & the Spuckie? Where is it called a spuckie & why. Shoot, I had to override my spell check, it wanted spunkiest.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here...neeeeever heard of a spuckie. The google tells me it's a Boston thing.

I can't vote... I've lived so many places, both US coasts and multiple countries in Europe... almost all of them (and some not in the poll) are correct to me.

Never heard of a Spuckie, and never heard 'em called an Italian Sammy though. However, I am familiar with a Hot Italian, but this wouldn't meet that since it's not Italian cuts, not melted, and has lettuce?

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              My sentiments exactly.

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              +2

• Alan Brice
              Alan Brice commented
              Editing a comment
              +3

The problem is you can only vote for one name. I know them by three names, Sub, hero, and Hoagie (which also refers to hoagie bread roll).

Comment

Being raised a northern New Jersey guy, I'd call it a Hero. But when I see any sandwich stacked high I call it a Dagwood, after Dagwood Bumstead, the character in the Blondie cartoons who would make outrageous sandwiches during his midnight refrigerator raids.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't heard a Dagwood mentioned in years now.
                Good call.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Dagwood is what I saw in it, but I voted Sub.

Subway makes them so I call them subs.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                Subway makes nothing like that. 😆

I voted sub. But I would also call the bread a hoagie roll.

Comment

What people call this kind of sandwich is one of the big regional American English discriminators that linguists have used to distinguish dialects. Out in California when I was growing up, we'd call these a sub sandwich.

Comment

if eaten after surfing we called it a grinder, any other time…. a sub

Comment

I call it a sub, But I would know it as a hoagie or a hero

Comment

• ssandy_561
                      ssandy_561 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But only us from the Buffalo area know what a "Weck" is. 😋

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beef on weck? I know what that is...

• jerrybell
                      jerrybell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think we were around Niagra Falls (Canadian side) and stopped to eat. I was excited to see they had a beef on weck sandwich so I could try one for the first time. The server comes over about 5 minutes after we ordered and said they we're out of the kummelweck rolls but still had a delicious bread they could make it with. WTF was the first thing that went through my mind, but I managed to keep that from coming out of my mouth. Anyway, I still can't say I've had a beef on weck.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here