Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My observation on reverse searing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried once, no more.
    The problem I have is timing the first part, so that when I sear I don't over cook.
    I imagine if I did steaks on a regular basis, it would work for me, but we don't have them rib eyes to often.

I have my best luck bringing the grill to about 650, hit each side for 2 to 3 minutes and then move over to the cooler side and reduce heat, then flipping about every 30 seconds or so till about 125.
    For me, much easier to keep track of internal temps.

Something I had trouble with until I was convinced here I needed a thermapen, thanks all..

Al

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      when I reverse sear, I take the meat off the grill for a few minutes to slow down or pause the cook, sometimes I use those few minutes to bring the fire back to full strength, and then I sear. But, sounds like you enjoy the front sear cook, nothing wrong with that. It's all a bit of how we enjoy to have a cook go. Cheers!

I do a reverse sear and take it to the final temp I want to serve - mid-rare at 130-133. I let it sit for at least an hour and then sear on a very hot grill. Letting sit for that time will ensure it is always served at the desired doneness. Learned this from Jacob Burton at Stella Culinary and Aaron Franklin's steak book.

Rob

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of that Franklin guy.....

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here