Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AmazingRibs Recipes: BY WEIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Burn "Perhaps what I'm really asking is what is the measuring process, using my flat digital scale?"

The process for mixing Memphis Dust by weight.

You need a mixing bowl, your digital scale and a whisk.

Put all of your ingredients in their original packaging on the counter next to your scale.

Put the mixing bowl on the scale and press the tare button. That takes the weight of the bowl out of the total weight.

Pour in the 80 grams of brown sugar right from the package. No need to get your measuring cup out and have to wash it later or worry you are packing it to tight. 80 grams is 80 grams.

Press the tare button again and add each ingredient, one at a time. Hitting the tare button between each ingredient.

When all the ingredients are in the mixing bowl whisk them together. Put your newly mixed Memphis Dust in a Zip-Lock freezer bag.

Rinse off your whisk. Wipe of your digital scale. Wash your mixing bowl. Project completed with 100% accuracy, less mess and in less time.

After working with a digital scale for a short time most people think... This is really great. I wish I had found this handy dandy device earlier.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Breadhead - Thanks! The idea of zeroing out after each ingredient never even crossed my mind. I knew what the tare button was for but I kept thinking that weighing each ingredient individually was no faster than measuring each one individually. Duh!

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead - silly thing is I already have one. I use it for portioning out meat when I'm grinding or for sausage recipes. Next time I need to make some Memphis Dust, I'll go with the by-weight recipe, unless you've already got one for BBBR since I do need to mix some more of that up :-) Thanks again

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead - say I were to look for a decent digital scale on Amazon....what should I look for as far as units of measure or accuracy standards, etc? $25 aint bad, I'd have thought they'd be much higher.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee

The average home cook doesn't need a real high tech digital scale.

If I were trying to get one that fits my needs as a home cook I'd look for one that measures by the 1 gram quantity. Some only weight by 2 grams... 2,4,6,8. You want 1,2,3,4,5.

Some only weigh up to 6 pounds. Others in the lower price points weigh up to 11lbs.

So... If it were me I'd look for a digital scale that weighs up to 11lbs and that reads at 1 gram increments.

You can find them for $25.

If you want to shoot the works you can get them that can read to the 10th of a gram and also has the built in baker's percentage in the computer read out... For like $65.

Me being a bread baker, I prefer one with the built in bakers percentage calculation.

Amazon has one for $15 that is good enough for most home cooks, with less features.
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 29, 2015, 12:11 AM.

Breadhead, that's exactly the info I was looking for, thank you good sir!

Comment

i just put together a vertical drum smoker (hey, it's not so ugly..), and as I bbq more, I'm going to add more recipes by weight as promised.

Big Bad Beef Rub:
        http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_..._beef_rub.html
        3 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper 27g
        1 tbsp granulated white sugar 15g
        1 tbsp onion powder 9g
        2 tsp mustard powder 7g
        2 tsp garlic powder 7g
        2 tsp chili or ancho powder 6g
        1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder 3g

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here