Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the strangest thing you've smoked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone here is going to tell me that they've been doing this for years, but on an episode of Crazy Delicious, a guy used a BGE to smoke a peeled watermelon scored to look like a ham. Used rub on it and everything. I want to try that just for grins and giggles. It actually looked like a smoked ham until sliced. Unless that was just the magic of television.

Click image for larger version  Name:	k%2Farchive%2Fa1ddb445a8da6df04e636fe2cf466196887bb9aa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	875573

And I thought injecting watermelons with reagent (USP)-grade ethanol in my college years was the only way to make a watermelon taste even better.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 5, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Ryan D
      Ryan D commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that episode, he put some type of jerk seasoning on it and cooked it in a BGE. it even cut a bit like ham. Looked pretty good. If you figure it out, let us know

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Doc representing strong! At work We just cooked A watermelon for two days. I’ll see if I can get pics. We did other too. Pineapple and ????

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that knife. And I use it to slice watermelon.

Interesting question.

I’ve got to admit that my interest in smoking and joining this forum in large part started from experimenting with different ways to prepare Lionfish, which is an introduced invasive exotic species currently impacting our waters in a way that most people don’t know, particularly because something that is out of sight, is usually out of mind.

The good news is that Lionfish is excellent eating. I consider it to be The Kobe of fish, or Wagyu of the sea.

It’s delicious as sashimi... fresh from the filleting table, with a kiss of soy sauce. It’s ceviche is excellent, frankly speaking, like nothing else. Fried with minimal seasonings, breaded and deep fried, steamed, sous vide, or any which way you want, it’s top notch.

I wanted to try smoking it into a fish dip, and it was by trial and error that I got to discover this website. I purchased Meathead’s book, and that led me here. We don’t just eat Lionfish, and have of course, since reading and studying this a bit, learned how to better prepare bbq, grill meats, etc.etc. so this resource has been a win-win for my family and I.

We fix our dip using cherrywood smoked Lionfish, cream cheese, sour cream, diced sweet peppers, red onions, cilantro, habaneros, freshly squeezed lime juice and usually serve it chilled with some pita chips, or corn chips to bring it all together.

I start by marinating our Lionsfish catch in soy sauce and brown sugar overnight in the fridge. After 24 hrs. it’s pretty much cured and firm. I give it a good cold water rinse and smoke it low and slow... 210F tops, for just under an hour or better stated, until I have achieved the right color and texture. It’s like fish ham. Hard to describe... it’s superb.

My wife and I join forces when preparing this, we proceed to crumble the smoked Lionfish fillets and incorporate them into the rest of the ingredients to make our dip. At times, my wife brings some of our dip to work and her colleagues keep asking for more.

Catching Lionfish is part of the fun. If you want to see how that part of the job is done and why, here is a video that PBS put together several years ago. My wife and I contributed to this video production, we donated a good portion of the underwater footage. We are in the video many times, particularly underwater, catching them or rolling video on getting that done, we are on the boat and part of the team, etc.etc. but we purposely stayed quiet and opted to just be in the backgrounds. Here is the hyperlink if you want to see and hear more about the Lionfish in our waters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSd7pgvOV3M

Here is a photo of a good Lionfish catch:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6419B438-5425-4CCC-9A41-17C01F203B5D.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	875832

Here is one of some fillets being smoked:

Name:	B961C9A8-4AC9-4845-9FF3-0A06C743B77B.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	875830

This one shows the finished product once served:

Name:	C712C737-24C9-4292-B866-EBE9403197B0.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	875831
    Cheers,
    Ricardo

PS: This one is a photo of them in their natural condition:

Name:	252D8CA0-AF17-4AED-8511-ECBC0C782480.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	875833

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice video. Glad we don't have any on the West coast, but would sure like to try them!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      They are really invasive and a big problem over in Florida. You should have some tee shirts made up with a Lion fish enjoying a cig with the caption "I smoke Lion fish"

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d eat that

Dried banana peels soaked in robatussen...dont judge, I was in college a long time ago...

Comment

Also pleadin my 5th Amendment Rights, an invokin th Statute of Limitations... Ahm'a set this one out.
      Happy trails, alla yall....

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as you swear you didn't inhale, you're still eligible to be the President...just sayin'.

Yeah, all I’ll say is it really f.... messed me up and I didn’t try it again.

Comment

Alligator. Dry and leathery (over cooked it). Horrible.

Comment

Eggs (is that weird?) - they're really good. Octopus - didn't like it, see posts elsewhere.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah JC, I love smoked eggs. It’s a long story, but they are oh so good.

Whole canned tomatoes. I will throw some in for a couple of hours when smoking something else. Puree them up afterward and they can be used in a variety of applications including homemade BBQ sauce.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            willxfmr It's super easy. When I first did this I put an entire can, including the juices, into a loaf pan. The BBQ sauce was good but too watery. Now, I drain the juice (and use for some other purpose) and cook the tomatoes directly on the grate usually for a couple of hours. Thoroughly puree them afterwards. It freezes nicely.

• Parkin
            Parkin commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a killer idea! I'm sensing some BBQ Chicken Pizza in my future. THX!!
            Last edited by Parkin; July 8, 2020, 11:57 AM.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I Smoke my meatballs now rather than the tomato. I finish the meatballs in the sauce. It’s more subtle but really good. CaptainMike has taken that recipe. Tomato and smoke is awesome.

Mice - unintentionally, lol. Apparently, they think a pellet grill burn pot is a good nest. Luckily, I haven’t seen any more in past 2-3 years since the neighborhood has been completed...or I bbq’d them all. Either way, glad they are gone.

What I cook intentionally is pretty boring, Tilapia or shrimp is about as wild as it gets. I’m not into many protein sources you wouldn’t find raised for consumption. However, I have cooked Pecan Pie and Pineapple on the pellet grill.
          Last edited by glitchy; July 7, 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I smoked some cheez-its and danged if they weren't delicious.

Comment

a guy at work smoked up a beaver for thanksgiving, not my thing but ya gotta try new things or you'll never know.

Weirdest thing I smoked was the pop up timer on a chicken... didn't know it had one and somehow it got under the skin fully. Luckily it popped up at the end of the cook before I had to resharpen my knife

Comment

These "smoked by mistake" comments I think are my favorite. Maybe we should start a new thread hahaha

You guys have been awesome with the responses.

Comment

Ice cubes for whisky cocktails. I've never done it personally, but I read this as a step in a recipe once and thought...hmmm.

Comment

Scorpions....found a few after my first cook in the new Bronco.

Comment

I’ve got one more to share....

This weekend, we smoked an assortment of things, and amongst the different items we prepared were some beef cheeks. A first for us fixing, but not a first for me trying. I had tried beef cheeks once before at a street taco stand in Cozumel about a year ago or so, but it had some other non-choice cuts in them... and while I really liked them, it was not possible to distinguish exactly what the beef cheeks were about.

So, in preparation for the Fourth weekend, and while checking Sams’s club, I saw for the first time ever, 2 bags of beef cheeks, and one came home with me.

I found a video on Malcom Reed’s HowToBBQRight YouTube channel and essentially followed his instructions to the "T". They turned out really good.

Here is a link to Malcom’s preparation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bl3HWaARw

Most of the content of the package was inedible tissue, all kinds of knife work involved to free up the edibles. My fish filleting practice came in handy with these cheeks. Lots of knife work and in the end, we had several pieces of muscle, all sizes but principally small cuts. It’s about 40% keep.

We smoked the cheeks for color, then when they got to 160-170ish, in an aluminum pan they went with some vegetables and beef broth, covered in tin foil till they reached 210F.

They taste like some type rough chopped soft fatty brisket point mixed with spare beef ribs. We have them vac packed and frozen at the moment, and will be giving them a formal try soon, when their number is up. I used KillerHogs rubs and smoked them using a few Cherrywood chunks for flavor and Southern Live Oak throughout. Beautiful color and flavor, soft, fatty in a good way, kind of a comfort food thing, and an amazing smoke-ring to boot.

Gave a little piece to my daughter when she was helping me prep the vacuum bags for freezing. She did not know what it was, and I did not tell until after she had tried them, she liked them until she heard us say... beef cheeks. Will see what she has to say when we thaw them for dinner 🤣.

This photo has them getting the KillerHogs treatment

Name:	B43F5134-1AC5-48B5-81F0-915D05341CBB.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	877451

Here that they are getting a sprits of 50:50 apple cider vinegar and Jack Daniel’s Apple Whisky, with some disolved dark brown sugar. The cheeks are the ones closer to the camera:

Name:	C8DDB9B8-7675-45E7-987F-90872B99296A.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	877450

Here they are getting the final vegetable and beef broth bath, and once they had achieved the color I was looking for. Cover with tin foil and back in for some BTUs:

Name:	DBB02A0E-210B-4BDA-BAB5-3A973B09486A.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	877452
                      Unfortunately, I don’t have any more photos of the beef cheeks. It will have to be when they come out of the freezer.

Cheers,
                      Ricardo

Comment

• HouseHomey
                        HouseHomey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those look great!!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here