Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Compliment You Have Received For Your Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No words...also no leftovers 👊

Comment

A very dear young friend of mine moved here 4 years ago from N.Carolina. I did a pork butt Fri. & called him Sat. afternoon & said I would be bringing over dinner, he has 4 kids. In droppin off the victuals I told him this is the real deal after a 12 hour cook. He told me he would be the judge since they have eaten some great stuff. I got a text 2 hours later. He said "they loved it & it’s addictive". Mission accomplished. There have been many others, not to boast, because that is sort of the purpose of cookin for others, to please em! Yessir!
      Last edited by FireMan; May 10, 2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Brought Korean style pork belly burnt ends to a Super Bowl party where we knew the host family and no one else, so no grading on a curve by friends or family. I personally was a little disappointed at my cook thinking in my head they were an 8 out of 10. The comments from the crowd were "holy sh*t these are amazing" and "these are incredible who made them!" So perhaps I’m a tough self critic!

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I know I am.

We have been going to the same Christmas party for 38 years. Several years ago I was "accused" of cooking something at the party. The accuser said he knew I had cooked it as soon as he took one bite, and that he was goin' back for more...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          A 38 year Christmas party? Must have brought in a tanker of eggnog for that one!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, some of us do like to get tanked...

ComfortablyNumb

My six year old grandson recently called me "the best cooker he has ever had".

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, until he gets his own LSG.....

When people keep going back for more than seconds. Or say "dang that's good", or you run out of meat when you had planned enough for 4 servings each so you would have planned overs.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 10, 2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Last year in September I was doing a cook for 200 people, smoking brisket and pork belly, serving creamed corn and bourbon baked beans as sides (all my own recipes). Two guys (adults) came up to me within 30 minutes of each other (at different times, they didn't know each other) and said that this was the best meal they've added in their life. I couldn't believe it at first, was almost starting to well up.

But I agree with others here in this thread. Serving others, and guests either going silient or going back for seconds is a good reward as any.

Comment

My daughter's boyfriend gave up being a vegetarian to eat my ribs, brisket, etc. and hasn't looked back.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Boom!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a similar experience a year ago or so.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s it, how to cure a vegeteranian, give em gooood meat!

I’ve had compliments in the past...but the two most recent were on two separate occasions...ribs in both instances.

And surprisingly, to me, the response was fairly identical. "OMG! OMG! These are amazing. I’ve NEVER had ribs this good." The one variation was an added, "Have you tried the ribs? They’re the bomb," said to another guest.

On the first dinner, I made enough for two...there may have been four ribs left. I had those for lunch the following day. For the second event, I made (what I thought) BUNCHES. Even added two full racks, just in case. They were devoured...along with 17 pounds of pull pork. O_o "Fine! I didn’t want any tomorrow anyway." LOL

I guess I’m complimented quite often by virtue of the fact that I’m often asked to cook for friends & family. It’s even become a bit of a running joke with a couple of friends... They’ll call and ask what my plans are for the weekend...adding that "We’re thinking about having a BBQ..." I now answer with, "Cool, what am I cooking?" LOL But they’re fun to cook for...and I’ve done everything from smoking & grilling, to sushi & classic French dishes.
            Last edited by surfdog; May 10, 2020, 10:37 AM. Reason: Need to proofread BEFORE hitting post.

Comment

"Likes" from you guys

Comment

Up until the quarantine thing I went to a monthly potluck for couples. Hearing the people come in and look around and ask, "Okay what did Orion cook?"
                Like so many have said, it's cooking for others!
                Last edited by ofelles; May 11, 2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

My wife tells me that I can make that again means she liked it. She is my toughest critic.

Comment

I cooked some smoked salmon (recipe is on this site) on a wsm with whiskey barrel staves for wood for my family in Milwaukee a while back. It was the first time I cooked this for them. I'll never forget what one of my sisters said that day. In a very vigorous tone she said " OH MY GOD, THIS IS DELICIOUS!!".

Awesomeness

Comment

Like most of us, I was asked to cook something for someone. For me a coworker wifes birthday party. (I show to many cook pictures at work) Talked him into pulled pork. It is probably still my best ever as I never cambro as long as I should. Spent all night explaining how I did it.

Comment

....I'm going to live!!!!….

Comment

• Donw
                          Donw commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The lab results show that you were not the cause of ...🙂

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here