Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezer diving challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer diving challenge

You have time on your hands so show us who the real pit masters are. Dive deep in your freezer (way deep). Find the most nasty piece of meat (freezer burnt ,lean, tough as nails chunk of meat hiding in your freezer take a pic and turn it into a spectacular meal. This is what real bbq is all about. No A 5 wagu pics here. Just crappy freezer burnt cuts only!! Whos up for some real bbq.....
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 4, 2020, 06:38 PM.

Does a two year old smoked ham still wrapped in its original aluminum foil count? Instructions just say to reheat.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Reheat? Simple enough.

Perfect. Check whats below it in the freezer you may need to use heliox to dive that deep.

Comment

Funny, I'm doing that now. The very oldest meat in the freezer. 2.5 year old Costco flank steak. Gonna eat dang dang good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4667.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	825818

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice man!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Way to go!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        2.5 year old flank steak? Was that a post-hurricane purchase?

I'm afraid to go that deep. Might find Jimmy Hoffa.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! Might could happen!
        I think what Ahumadora is wantin to see, is th stuff from under Jimmy Hoffa, even!
        Definitely admit I been usin up older stock here, in order to rotate newer stuff in...
        I'll take/post pics, next time I do so...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 03:30 PM.

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha..

Okay. Did some digging. I clearly broke all the rules with this one. No label. No date. No memory at all of putting it in there. This is most likely turkey. It might be chicken. Who knows?

I've been thinking about doing a play on a pasta carbonara next week. Maybe this goes in there with a little bacon, some peas, some cream and lots of pecorino and parmesan. I'll report back if I survive eating it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	826015

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, now. That's embarrassing! Turns out this was fat cut from the Christmas rib roast. I'm down an onion and a few slices of bacon. Will start over with another onion and some of the ham/Canadian bacon we got for tomorrow's pizza...

Note to self: label everything that goes into the dang freezer!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Omg I’m dying man!!!!

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, HouseHomey. So funny. But the tragedy is how good it would have been to use a few of those chunks rendered in the CI to reverse sear some steaks. Now I'm ready to cry...

ooooooo, I love this one! I gotta get diggin'!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Dig Deep, now!!!

I love this idea, but honestly I don't think I have anything down there that fits the bill. I will look though.

Comment

Last time I did that I came up with some heart. Wasn't as good as I remember from when I was a kid. I am sure to find something good if I dig deep enough.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, i have a beef heart steak i totally forgot about. That might need to be my next cook.

I found an ex-wife, does that count?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Modern time lack/suspension of Statute of Limitations effectively prohibits me from commentin my own beliefs, however experience-based, on this subject matter.
          Reckon that's all I can say in th clear, Brother...
          https://youtu.be/08YDuzJy-Zo
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 11:39 PM.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha Mr. Bones

I just recently purged and organized my freezer. Fortunately the vac sealer does wonders for freezing meat.

Comment

I'm In like Flynn, Brother!

In fact, I started preppin, even afore ya made yer post...

Neighbour Bill, to my north, well he an his wife finally achieved one their dreams, bought a house, so they's movin, almost gone.
          He brought me over 3 my ¢99/lb on sale pork butts I'd been storin in his garage deep freeze, they been there a while, let's say...

Gave one to Ricky , chucked t'other two in my deep freeze, started thawin one last night

Due to prevailin weather condits, I was able to use th ol garage thaw (my winter walk-in fridge) in a proper, food safe temps fashion, with th door cracked to regulate temps below 40°F...

Comment

Not all that exciting but I got a 3 year old cooked ham still in its cryovac. Itching to be cooked. Went a little crazy last few days so got about a weeks worth of leftovers but that bad boy will be cooked in some manner (re-smoked or sous vide) within the next 2 weeks

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Let us know how it comes out. And, I was debating fixing a younger 2 year old ham this week.

Here's the one I posted back on 2/23/20. Does this still count or was I just ahead of my time? :-)

Top | #1 Early morning ribeye cook

February 23rd, 2020, 01:35 PM
            Going through the freezer the other day, I came across a 7 year old choice ribeye steak. My food saver bag was still nice and tight, so I thawed it out and did an experimental cook this morning. I was going to have steak & eggs without the eggs. I covered both sides and edges heavy with kosher salt (you couldn't even see the meat), let that sit for 15 minutes and then rinsed it all off. Rubbed it all down with Worcestershire and seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Spogos. I wanted to practice my 2 zone cooking on the BGE, (actually I guess you would call it 2 temperature cooking). Using the adjustable rig I set the bars in the lowest setting and placed my grill gates flat side up on top of the bars. I put the top grate on and got the temp at the top grate to 275+. cooked each side for about 15 minutes and then pulled at 115+. Then open the lid, took the top grate off and let grill grates get to 600, sprayed the grates with olive oil spay and also sprayed the steaks. Then re-seasoned the meat with Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta and put them back on for 90 seconds per side. They were a little salty because of the way I dry brined them, but all in all, Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_534.jpeg Views:	139 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	807041 really good flavor for an early morning cook.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure right it counts. I’ve got walking, talking, and school attending grandchildren younger than your steak.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely counts, in my book!

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d eat that!

Okay, I will admit, I forgot, I will dig tomorrow. I am actually worried about what I might find in there.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Waldo? I mean where's Waldo Corona edition is pretty easy...

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Bueller bueller

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis