Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Dirty Little Cooking Secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dirty secret? I don't know how to cook. I just do stuff and correct my mistakes.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Technically, that is cookin, in a nutshell, Brother lol!
      Bravo!!!!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      This describes me, I rely on luck and the ability to adapt.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      It ain’t the cooking I get paid for. It’s the fix and knowing the right serving vessels.

Secret 1 (not really very secret) - I drink when I cook, so I have no idea what's actually happening. It's possible I've never cooked anything and my family just ordered takeout and told me I cooked it.
    Secret 2: Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning. I use it in everything, and it's really versatile. Provides some underlying layers of flavor for whatever you put over it - like primer under paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	823871

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan yeah, I definitely don't enjoy eating paint unless it has some primer with it

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I prefer leaded paint.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I do it a bit different. I get my guests drunk, then I feed them. Can't go wrong.

radshop
    Re: Secret 1 ROFLMAO, I was tryin to go all kinda beddy-bye, now I gotta possibly sprained abdominal region!
    Thanks fer th Belly Laughs, amigo!

Comment

I really like using these two spices. Not so much for smoking, but on the grill, oven and skillet they are really good. What I like most about both, other than their flavors, is they only have 60mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp. So, a pretty good amount can be used without over-salting your food.

My other secret is my bread maker in the background. I have been using one brand, or another for just about 30 years to crank out all kind of dough's for just about anything made with dough.

Name:	20200401_132545.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	824022

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife and I were given a bread machine at our wedding way back, and I was nervous that you coudl just add the dry and wet ingredients and it does everythign else. I was blown away when it actually worked, and worked well! My wife is gluten free due to celiac, so when it finally broke w never replaced it. I don't eat much bread anyway.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee - Interesting that you say that. My ex-wife has celiac. She didn't ever get a bread machine until she was diagnosed. She used it to bake GF breads, etc.

Mine is that I use Spice Islands Poultry Seasoning when I'm steaming or even sauteing vegetables. My family thinks it is a true 'secret ingredient' because I won't tell them what it is. It works especially well with green beans.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I do that too, different brand though. So many 'meat' seasonings work well on veggies, eggs, etc.

We save any and all chicken bones to make stock, including stuff we just ate. It’s boiled, so it is sanitary!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, cats too! 🕶

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan cat stock? Hmmmm....

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Our chest freezer is always filled with what my wife calls "garbage" - carcasses, shrimp shells, onion shavings, etc ALL for making homemade stock, which is an absolute game changer for certain dishes. In a couple of days I will be making chicken noodle soup and with the homemade stock it will be fantastic.

I boil the ribs to make them tender. (Please check today's date)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nicely Played, Brother!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s wrong with that?

Family likes scalloped potatoes served with ham. Wife likes made from scratch but the family prefers the ones from a box. Gotta admit it can be hard to compete with the stuff in the box.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        True dat, especially when limited on time!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried the ones in a box once. I was shocked how good they were. I haven't bought them again because Barbara prefers mashed (also from a box!)

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Love those too!

I can get to an incredible fish market by boat, but I always catch fish so I don’t need to...
      Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, occasionally I get the titration wrong and screw it up!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice fish! No "Fish Market" in southern MN.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        "I always catch fish" True fishermen right here folks!

I really don't mind Bush's baked beans. I use liquid smoke in some of my BBQ sauces. Like Huskee I also don't sweat temperature fluctuations. I'll sometimes use onion powder if I'm feeling too lazy to chop an onion.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife gets the great big containers of dried onion at Sam's, and we use those. If I chop up a real onion and use it in something she gets terrible gas. The dried onion doesn't affect her.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use liquid smoke, too.

I cheat to amp up flavor. I usually add ac'cent to my rubs just to boost it up a bit. I also add butter to pulled pork after I have pulled it. Get over it.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, you know, Skip! And it has to be BUTTER, not Parkay!! Skip

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker If I brought Parkay into the house, Barbara would make me sleep in the garage. In fact, I buy the tubs of butter softened with canola oil for spreading on rolls, etc and she calls THAT margarine and turns her nose up at it.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; April 8, 2020, 03:45 PM.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn right! Dewesq55

Use Saco Buttermilk powder vs buttermilk, because we are always out of buttermilk when we want to make something, and of course, sold out in stores only when we need it.

failing that will mix 50/50 sour cream and milk instead.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I just learned in the latest issue of Southern Living that buttermilk freezes just fine. So when I finished with the chicken and biscuits that I had I bought the most recent half gallon of buttermilk for, I poured the remainder into small jars (next time I'll use bags to freeze flat) in 1 cup portions and froze it. Now I'll always have buttermilk on hand. Apparently you have to whisk it after it thaws to get it back to its usual consistency.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; April 14, 2020, 05:53 AM.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc Mind. Blown.

I've already commented on other posts that I take some of the same shortcuts. Here's my worst secret. I see all the posts of burgers, made from fresh ground Wagyu roasts etc. I've been making burgers for our lunch the last couple of days, but you haven't seen any pictures, because this is what I've been slapping on the IR cooker, still frozen, for a fast meal.

Name:	075450090970_A1C1_LabelInsight_default_large.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	827958
      Their version of plain Angus beef aren't bad either, but with the cheese and bacon, they come out really juicy.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        We are fond of Bubba Burger’s 100% Angus Chuck Grind. Easy and quite good.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 the bacon takes care of any impurities. The grease washes them all away!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy - Bacon does cure everything, doesn't it?

Homemade Pickles:

I buy the 1/2 gal Mt Olive whole Dill pickles ($4 at my local Rural King)

Dump the juice in a pan and bring to just shy of a boil while stirring in 2 lbs sugar (don't boil)

While the juice is coming up slice the pickles into spears

I also get the the Mt Olive Sliced Jalapenos

Layer the pickle spears back into the jar by the large handful with 4-6 jalapeno slices in between each handful, no jalapeno juice

Pour the juice back in and keep refrigerated, they are ready to eat in 3 to 7 days depending on how long you can wait

They turn out crisp and sweet with a kiss of heat on the back end. Best pickles I have ever been able to find and no tilling, planting, weeding, well you get the picture.

I got this from a friend who is one of the genuinely great people you will meet in a lifetime.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t beat Mt. Olive. Our fun family fact Is that the factory was built on my grand-uncle’s farm. He was one of the original investors.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        No Rural King around us, but I'll have to check with my son to see if his Bomgaar's store handles them. Same buying group.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that brand for the price!

I will have to think a bit, I am sure I have a bunch of them, I just cant think of them. However, I use the Microplane to mince my garlic, instead of using a knife. I only use the knife to crush it a bit to get the outer cover off of it. I buy brats, I do not make my own. I learned I like cans of San Marzano whole tomatoes, will likely never can anymore tomatoes again. I love to every now and then have McDonald 1/4 lb double with cheese and fries.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 8, 2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here