Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Dirty Little Cooking Secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dirty little cooking secret????
    Are we only allowed to have th one? Or make a list?
    In this time of so many folks seekin refuge in virtual ways, I dang dang sure don't wanna crash th interwebs...
    That never makes one popular, even on th bestest of days...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 31, 2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. But. What are yours???🤷🏼😁

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Make a list. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt!!!!!

Reminds me of that commercial with the Cowboys. Pace salads maybe "get a rope."

Different cultures diffrent cheats.

Two of a few

30 minutes is way easier than an overnight soak and long boil.

​

These are great and come in many variations

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_074608.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	823366

Comment

I use "Bear Creek Soups" a lot. Using them as a base and adding extra vegetables, meat, and sometimes a little broth make some soups we like. We don't care for all their soups but their Potato, Wild Rice, Brocolli, and Clam Chowder are really good.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Say it ain’t so!!

This is a great topic, especially for the quick and dirty cooking that we sometimes have to do. Thanks, Dewesq55 , for starting it.

I just happened to buy a jar of that hot curry paste the last time I was in my fav Asian market. I've never used it before. Do you just follow the recipe on the side of the jar, or do you do some doctoring up? Knowing you through your posts here, I'm guessing it's the latter.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; March 31, 2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        . . . I can give more details on this step of you want. Remove with a skimmer and drain in a bowl with 1 or 2 paper towels in the bottom and set aside. After the chicken is done, crush the crisp fried onions into the pot, mix, turn the heat to high, cover and cook for up to 5 minutes until the onion is fully incorporated and the sauce is considerably thicker. Give a final stir. Serve with basmati rice.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, thank you so much, Dewesq55 , for going to all the trouble to post the recipe. Extra thanks to you for challenging the character limit of comments which made it even more time consuming. I will definitely try your recipe. It sounds delicious.

Kathryn

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc

Kathryn:

My pleasure. The crisp fried onion part seems complicated, and it can be tricky if you've never done it before, so feel free to direct message me if you want some more detail. I may even have instructions from an Indian cook book. I'll double check.

Yeah, it’s jarred marinara sauce, and occasionally frozen burger patties. There, I’ve said it.🙄

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Prego in my lasagna and chicken parm. I love that stuff. My wife once made a homemade marinara that was fantastic but she didn't write the recipe down and can't remember how to recreate it, so we are back to Prego.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee - If you subscibe to NY Times Cooking, search for "classic marinara sauce" on their site. The sauce there is quick, easy and delicious. If you make it, I use crushed tomatoes instead of the whole San Marzanos (it's easier and Barbara's mother won't eat the sauce if she sees any seeds in it). I also use BOTH the oregano and basil.

I use my electric deep fryer more often that my propane ones. I use quite a bit of frozen veg. My kids are my guinea pigs on new dishes. I use other people's tortillas (are you down with OPT, yeah you know me...) as often as I use home made. All the good photos are taken by my wife. Montreal steak and salmon magic are still used often. I buy bagged lettuce. My wife prefers brookshires brand sweet onion salsa over my fire roasted jalapeno salsa. I buy store bought breadcrumbs.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on store bought tortillas (I have never made a tortilla), bagged lettuce, Frozen veggies and breadcrumbs

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        OPT, lol at that one

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Opt you betcha!!!

I too use Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit, my family loves it. I substitute it with rotel vs. the canned tomato sauce. And canned Bush's Chili beans. The rest I make myself, brisket, chuck roast or ground beef.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        au4stree - I have 2 things to say to you:
        1) Discretion is the better part of valor.
        2) Happy wife, happy life!

Keep on cookin'!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Hill of beans, you trying to put that in my chili...look some thing are worthy of going in the prenuptial. Dewesq55 au4stree

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses Shelby's Chili kit. The chili I made recently, (with the black beans texastweeter loved so much) has been my base for years. But that batch had beef, pork, bacon, rotel, and the black beans. I've even won chili contests with it. Nothing serious, just school fundraisers and the like, generally in the HOT category. My "Fire & Brimstone" Chili, which I can't make when it's the 2 of us, or I'd eat it all alone. I have to heat mine up after she gets hers.

Sometimes, when throwing together a roast in the slow cooker, I will forego worrying about the seasoning and use store bought chicken stock and a jar of decent store bought spaghetti sauce. 1/2 and 1/2 of each for the seasoned liquid and it also makes for a nice sauce in the end. Even when doing this, I still salt/pepper the roast and sear the outside. If I don't have time for the sear then I don't have roast.

Comment

Rotisserie chickens.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Before our local supermarket moved across town, I used to get them once in a while on the way home if I was coming back from the City too late to make dinner. But they are not worth driving across town and back "on my way home." I haven't bought one in quite a while.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          They've gotten smaller over the years. They're practically fetal-sized chickens at the grocery where I shop. As you say, Dewesq55 , not worth the trip. Technically speaking, I guess a chicken fetus is an egg, but you get my drift.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc
          Dang straight K
          I despise those chickens. The few times i said
          "That smells good" or "I’ll just be lazy" or "I’m starving" I’m always disappointed. The over seasoned soft skin is amazing but the chicken sucks. Small, dry at the breast and rare and Untrimmed at the legs.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; April 8, 2020, 05:29 PM.

Frozen pre-made hash brown patties.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          JCGrill no kidding. Really gotta wring the water out of them. Royal pain.

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta agree on that. I add cheese just so they seem a little more home made

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are so good!!!

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
        Frozen pre-made hash brown patties.
        With chopped up onions and peppers to boot.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Now yer talkin!!

Dales Marinade, I can make it or something like it from scratch. But it's not worth the cost, time, and flavor difference.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          @kflowers Sams Club has gallon jugs of the stuff! I mostly use it as a base for jerky, but as long as you don't over marinate it's great on everything else too!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I made boneless skinless chicken breasts marinated in Dale's over the weekend. My favorite thing to soak in Dales before cooking is pork chops. I think its my favorite way to season pork chops in fact.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I am going to have to get some. I kind of migrated to just using Worcestershire, but I used to mix them. I used to mix everything with Dales - beer, bourbon, mustard. I think that was when I was drinking a little more, come to think of it.

Better Than Bouillon soup base. . The roast vegetable is awesome! Gives stocks and soups great flavor. Stauffer's Mac and Cheese.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I really like the paste over the powdered cubes.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the lobster base. I use it in another of my DLS's which is packaged yellow rice and frozen seafood paella in the rice cooker
          Last edited by Dewesq55; March 31, 2020, 12:37 PM.

Never made a stock in my life. I use Swanson low sodium stock in those big boxes - I always have several boxes handy. If we get down to one box I panic

The funny thing is when I roast a chicken or make some bone in beef, I save and freeze the carcasses and bones for stock. Then when I need the freezer space, I throw it out.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory, Dewesq55, no arguments here. I am sure it is easy. Just saying that is what happens.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Right but... why? I get that is what you do, but I don't get WHY. You literally just have to dump the stock fixings in a pit and add water. If that's too much for you, just toss them initially and don't waste the space in the first place. But from a guy who spends all the effort it takes to smoke good food, it mystifies me that putting bones in a pot with water is too much effort.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory i got nothing. Just never got around to it.

I often start my chili from a kit, too, but I start with Wick Fowler’s. It comes with the ground chile, cumin, etc all separate, and it is an easy way to get the basic proportions right. I never stop there, but sometimes I do start there.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wick Fowler's is good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here