Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique question for the gurus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique question for the gurus...

Frequently... well often enough, I will be reading through a recipe and BAM >> add 1 can of cream of chicken soup << or mushroom soup, or creamy cheese soup... I DO NOT want to use this swill! Sooooooooo... what is the answer for a substitution???

I am wondering about a béchamel sauce... it seems to be a little time consuming, but could be an option maybe

-- What say you?

I know exactly what you mean, and I loved this question so I poked around google a bit and found this as a cream of soup base:
    INGREDIENTS

• 2 tablespoons butter
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
    • 1/2 cup low-fat or fat free milk
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • Prep Time: 10 minutes
    • Cook Time: 10 minutes

• Total Time: 20 minutes
    • Yield: Makes 1 Cup

PREPARATION

1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
    2. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
    3. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
    4. Use in casseroles in place of condensed cream soups.
    5. This cream soup base can be varied by using vegetable broth, sauteéd chopped celery, celery seed, or sauteéd chopped mushrooms. Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks... looks promising!

this part is a bechamel sauce...

2 tablespoons butter
      3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      1/2 cup low-fat or fat free milk

I await the answer to this... Mr. White is getting there I do not like adding this canned coup crap

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Meant to say "soup crap". Sorry....

I have an awesome simple recipe to solve this problem.

2 tbsp or more of butter or olive oil or both
    1/4 cup minced onions
    2 cloves minced garlic
    mushrooms (as many as you like)
    1 tsp or so of kosher salt
    pepper to taste
    1 tsp of Herbs Provence or Italian seasoning
    1/4 cup of dry white wine
    1 cup chicken broth or stock
    1 cup of half and half
    2 tbsp flour

Heat butter and or oil in a cast iron skillet
    Add onions, salt, garlic and Herbs Provence or Italian seasoning. Continue sautéing until onions are translucent.
    Add white wine and reduce by half or more.
    Add mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms sweat off some liquid.
    Add flour and sauté until nicely combined and flour is just starting to brown. (1 to 2 minutes)
    Add chicken broth or stock bring to a light boil then to a simmer
    Add half and half and cook until the whole mixture thickens, about 5 to 7 or so minutes.
    Remove heat.

Viola.... Mushroom soup for cooking

For Cream of Chicken, omit mushrooms and add bits of left over chicken.
    For cream of celery....same...etc so on and so fourth...

It sounds complicated but once you get into a habit, it is easy and fast.

Hope this helps...better than using canned anything. And you can tweak it any way that works for you.

Troy

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      woots!

Give it a shot man..It is basically a béchamel but follows traditional French stovetop methods of sauce making.

Comment

Thanks! I am sure I will try this within the week... got an awesome Dutch Oven recipe to cook... Pigs in the Cornfield

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Pigs in the Cornfield??

Wow, and to think I add canned cream of [whatever] soup to recipes, and I like Kraft mayo. And Miller High Life beer.

Comment

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Huskee, it is OK to eat canned soup. It will slowly make you a mutant or worse sometime in the future. I love Kraft regular Mayo. I should make my own so I know what's in it but, you know I am a lazy git. Miller High Life is good beer, probably better for you than the canned soup. They all probably have GMO's in them as the manufacturers are fighting hard not to have to put it on the label.

Don't go snobbing me out of everything I like now...

Comment

Huskee we may have to create a "Low Brow" channel just for us common folk.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, we may have to. Maybe they'll let us hang around as long as we keep quiet.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
        Huskee we may have to create a "Low Brow" channel just for us common folk.

Comment

We're so not worthy.

Comment

hehehehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
              hehehehehehe
              What Jon said, X2

Comment

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                I have about two drinks a month. Usually when I am sitting out at the fire pit in the evening. I like my scotch neat and really enjoy it. It just that the sugar content in hard liquor is really high. So be it. When I do have a drink I really really enjoy it.

Jeesh!!! Y'all are a bunch of wise guys!

If you had a problem with your sodium-potassium pump failing and CHF like I do, at 870 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup serving of mushroom soup you would be looking for an alternative too! #JustSayin

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                Jeesh!!! Y'all are a bunch of wise guys!

If you had a problem with your sodium-potassium pump failing and CHF like I do, at 870 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup serving of mushroom soup you would be looking for an alternative too! #JustSayin
                I hear you Steve, And when those younger guys get our age they will be watching it also. But for now they can do it all.

I have a couple of problems myself, Gout and high blood sugar. Drat!! It keeps me from enjoying my single malt scotch, choclates, ice cream, etc, etc, etc, and most of the good things, But, I would rather control it with diet than the alternative.

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got a new mitral valve about a year ago... it is a mechanical one, which causes me to have to be on blood thinners the rest of my life... they didn't tell me that going in, daggumit. Whiskey is a good short term blood thinner BTW

Also since the surgery I have a CHF problem WTF??? Thus sodium is a big issue. Maybe God does hate me.
                  Last edited by smarkley; January 24, 2015, 10:51 AM.

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The CHF is a really common term. My wife has it or so the MD says. She use to have swollen ankles a lot and limited her salt intake. Since I have been using the Himalayan salt the problem has gone away, no swollen ankles. We haven't complained and stopped using the HS so the swelling would come back and she has been enjoying her food a lot more.

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Barry... I have heard that before about Himalayan salt - I need to try it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here