Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No meat menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No meat menu

I am turning to my brethren of the smoke for help. I have a large family and enjoy cooking for them, ribs & butt & brisket. However we have a new addition to the clan who doesn’t eat meat. I know, but she rearly is a wonderful person. I need menu ideas.

Mac and cheese,veggie lasagna, eggplant acorn squash or any squash, potatoes especially salted grilled, veggie burgers smoked and cooked like a real burger

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      And welcome

Welcome! I am in the same boat as you, my wife's niece is a vegetarian and she's the sweetest person you'll ever meet so I gladly accommodate her when she comes over. We make sure to have chips & [good] salsa, cheese plate, veggie plate, salads, and I will typically grill something fun for her like pineapple slices with brown sugar & cinnamon.

Since you’re new here, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
    1. Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us yourself since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe, if you’re a paying member. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you, just click here to fill out an email change request.
    2. Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members. (Paid members get automatic monthly entry, whereas Free Trial members or general public must enter manually.) We’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Grilled portobellos are fantastic. Caprese salad. Grilled veggies. Potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, grilled corn, guacamole. Black bean tacos and burritos. Cheese pizza (if not vegan).

These are all things I would LOVE if I was invited to a vegetarian feast. I would NOT go hungry!

Comment

Malcom Reed does a great stuffed pepper you can substitute the meat for morning star crumbles. There are some really good grilled stuffed tomatoe recipes if you do a search. My better half is vegetarian so I am always looking for new things to cook for her. You could go a Mexican drought and do enchiladas, quesadillas, or Chinese stir fry a wok works great on a grill

Comment

Loaded smoked taters, (or twice smoked) , veggie quiche, grilled/smoked/steamed veggies, well seasoned/smoked cabbage/zucchini/yellow squash, roasted/smoked spaghetti squash, smoked tofu 'buffalo wings', sweet tater fries, or smoked/grilled sweet tater 'steaks', roast garlic (or yer seasonin choice(s)) (optionally smoked) mashed taters/veg gravy, lentil burgers, veg stir fry, are all things that I have made, in this instance, at home, or institutionally.

These are things that pop into immediate memory; I'm sure I will add more...

Hope this helps give ya at least one helpful nudge, in th direction yer seekin to travel, amigo...

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Delighted to have ya here, an ain't no need to apologize fer askin a perfectly valid question.

Some folks don't eat meat, an there are, quite literally, millions of alternate receipts that are delicious, nutritious, enticin, savoury, an accommodate their wants/needs/choice.

Lookin forward to hearin more from ya, an what ya come up with, both in this instance, an general cookin, as well.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 2, 2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Western Mass. Lots of great suggestions here. Dumb question. You stated meat is out. How about fish? That would open up a whole lot more to work with.

Comment

Welcome from NYC.

For the vegetarians in my life (yes there are more than one - I do live in NYC), my most successful option is a grilled pizza (grill the dough first) with mozzarella, BBQ sauce (preferably KC style), pineapple, red onion and scallion. For vegans, it works well without the cheese.

Another appetizer that others haven't mentioned is babba ghanoush with carrots, radishes and pita chips. I like serving it on days when the meatatarians are eating smoked food because I can get a little bit of smoke flavor in the eggplant so that the vegetarians feel like they are eating smoked food, as well.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Love baba ganoush! I agree with you on the egg plant, it goes very well with smoke.

I do smoked corn on the cob. About an hour on smoke at 200-225, then I rub with coconut oil and season with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red curry - then wrap in foil and grill. No complaints so far. Don’t need much seasonings by the way, I put a light sprinkle on then rub the corn to distribute it all.

Get creative. You can smoke anything then sauté it. Or grill it. Or put it on a flat iron. You can start collard greens boiling then put the pot in a smoker at 350 and it wil continue to simmer nicely - the smoke will add flavor without using bacon or a leftover smoked ham bone.

Also don’t forget fried okra! Who doesn’t like that?? Nobody, that’s who.

Comment

You didn't specify, is your friend vegetarian or vegan? If she is a vegetarian than anything that works as a side at a BBQ is fine, salad, cole slaw, potato salad, corn. If you want to make her feel like part of the party get some veggie burgers to toss on the grill. Now if she's vegan, that presents a bigger challenge as she won't want anything that was even produced by an animal, such as eggs (which are in mayonnaise) dairy, or even honey.

Comment

We have some vegan friends who occasionally come to our BBQs. In addition to some grilled vegetables we've been making tofu burnt ends which have been a big hit. They really appreciate the effort of giving some something smoked/bbq'ed.

Cube up some extra firm tofu
                Toss with avocodo or other flavorless oil and BBR
                Smoke or bake for 30-45 min, less is more with the smoke
                Throw in hot frying pan until browned
                Lower heat and mix in some KC style bbq sauce
                Serve

One of my friends filled a hot dog bun with them the other day and said it made a great sandwich.

Comment

Tell her it is BYOS
                  Bring Your Own Side
                  or
                  Being Your Own Salad

Comment

Make a nice salad with made salad dressing & grill some veggies. You can cook up a bunch of different stuff that others will like also.

Oil & lemon, 3 to 1 &/or to taste
                    Vinigarette-, chopped scallions, Dijon mustards, RW vinagar & 4th part oil. All oil is EVOO.
                    Last edited by FireMan; August 2, 2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I do a smoked aubergine mousse every now and then. Always good, always appreciated by carnivores and vegetarians. I also do a smoked tomato soup that's been a hit.
                      Last edited by Henrik; August 2, 2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Saw this today:

I dunno that it would be a main, but it'd be something.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here