Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried salt block grilling yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came to believe it was over-rated as a cooking technique. Its value seems to primarily be something fun to do with guests. I did have it on my table at a nice restaurant in Portland (Tasty & Alder, now closed) where it was perfect. It was ⅛" slices of A4 Wagyu. A super-quick sear on each side on the scorching hot salt block and it was PERFECTION!

Comment

I have had one for years and yet the answer to your question is still "no".

Comment

We received one as a gift and have used it several times. We have only use it inside on the gas cooktop. Cooked asparagus and cheese (i.e. parmesan). We have not done any meats on it. It does not impart a saltiness to the food. FYI salt is a natural antiseptic and preservative, so no worries about repeated cooks. I do not think it adds much to the food, but the asparagus we had was very good. Looks cool when it gets hot and is glowing.

Comment

Not so much for grilling. But they are cool to freeze and serve food on for parties. That is about it. It is just another way to make things interesting when you have guests over. Not super practical, but kinda fun.

Comment

I do not use my much, but I like it when to do - mostly for flank steak and scallops. Anything you cook really hot and quick. Yes, it is a PITA

Comment

So, at local thrift store, picked up Salt Block Cooking, by Mark Bitterman, 2013. Flipping thru, interesting. Wondered if covered on AR. Found Meathead's article (not easy to find, did a search), and then this old thread. Themeadow.com (Bitterman), has several Portland stores, many interesting salts, etc. He even has a monthly salt club. Like olive oil and beans. Will stick with Diamond Crystal.

Oldest thread ever resurrected?

Comment

I have had a few of these and they produce really delicious food! Asparagus, spot prawns, mushrooms. . . Drizzle w/olive oil and Go - things that cook quickly and benefit from salt. The wetter the food the faster it sucks up the salt so pineapple for example it would need to be hot enough to cook in 20 sec or it would get too salty for me. I got rid of them because they are difficult to clean, PITA to dry, and they have the potential to contribute to corrosion. 🔥🔥🐿️

Comment

Talk about a blast from the past, seein smarkley’s name on the post.

Comment

I use my salt blocks to get more venison...😜

Comment

I wonder if placing your protein on one would be a good way to brine?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here